Re: commercial patterns

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2007
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "jimmielou111" <jimmielou111@...>
      wrote:

      > I was early for an appointment so I popped into the fabric store to
      > drool over fabric and happened to grab a very quick glance at the
      > patterns. Does anyone have an opinion on the Simplicity patterns? I
      > saw an ancient Scot, a medieval peasant and one or two others. Are
      > they crap not worth considering?

      The Elizabethan gets good reviews from Elizabethan costumers I know
      and those on h-cost and SCA-garb. It's not perfect, but it's pretty
      good. If you need a paper pattern for a basic tunic and pants, the
      peasant isn't too bad. The skirt won't be big enough, you'll want to
      add triangular gores for more width. Skip the Scot pattern. The
      Italian's not bad either. That's pretty close to a Durer painting of
      a Venetian woman. You'd want to make the waist straight instead of
      with the peak. Wait till they're 1.99/each and then snatch them up.
      You're required to "make an attempt" -- these more than qualify as "an
      attempt."

      jerusha
      -----
      Susan Farmer