Re: [SCA Newcomers] question about beards

    Message 1 of 2 , May 18, 2007
      In a message dated 5/18/2007 9:36:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      jimmielou111@... writes:

      <<My husband and I are newcomers about to attend our first meeting. He
      wants a Scottish persona but I've been told kilts are too modern to be
      worn. What did Scotsmen weare before kilts?>>

      Certainly the modern small kilt with the sewn-in pleats is out of period for
      the SCA - I believe it's an 18th century invention. There is some debate
      whether the great kilt, a length of cloth laid out, pleated, and held in place
      with a belt, has some antecedents in period. There is a good bit of
      information on Scottish clothing on these websites:

      _http://www.medievalscotland.org/_ (http://www.medievalscotland.org/) and
      _http://www.reconstructinghistory.com_ (http://www.reconstructinghistory.com)

      <<Also what about beards?
      Should we pick a different persona to accomodate his beard which is
      not going anywear (he looks like Jerry Garcia)?>>

      Some cultures in history tend towards clean-shaven, some towards beards,
      some both. I THINK the Scottish tended towards beards, particularly
      highlanders, but I am not sure. Certainly my clan chief wears quite a full beard, and
      there are lots of men in the SCA who do as well.

      << Also (while I'm
      asking) what about glasses?>>

      While corrective lenses did come into use in the 13th century, the early
      ones were hand held, or possibly able to perch on the bridge of the nose if you
      kept quite still. Eyeglasses with ear pieces as we think of came along a
      good bit later. I used to have a link to a webpage that showed historical
      eyeglass styles, but I can't find it anymore. That said, lots of SCA folk wear
      modern glasses; I do myself. While it's possible to get an optometrist to set
      your lenses into period or at least historical frames, I do 12th century, so
      there is no such thing as a period frame for me. My way of dealing with it
      is to get the thinnest, least visible frames I can and add a slight tan tint
      to the lenses, which makes them less visible as well. I've had people tell me
      that they don't notice them when I'm in garb. And I'm probably one of the
      most authentically-minded people on this list. I'd love to be able to do
      contacts or lasik, but my eyes don't tolerate the first and I can't afford the

      Lancaster, PA