Re: [SCA Newcomers] where do I hide it?

  • Elizabeth Cember
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18, 2007
      I know of one belly dancer who uses a pouch mounted to a garter for when she's dancing in her skimmier costumes (she does modern belly dancing as well).

      You might feel better having the pump hidden, I think most people know about them now, but it's going to cut into your ability to feel truly medieval to have to explain that it's a medical device to the few people who get uppity about your "pager". Slits in the sides of your garb will let you wear any style of clothing and still connect the pump. And as long as you're putting in slits anyway, you could make a nice medieval style pocket to tie around your waist for your valuables--with embroidery even! (He-llo A&S project.)

      There was a King William I of Scotland back in the 12th century, so it's not unheard of. The folks at St.Gabriel's academy (the root address of the links posted to the list earlier) will be glad to take a look at any name you like. The Gaelic spelling of William is Uilliam so it might be worth doing a search that way.

      The other thing to keep in mind is do you really want your same name? It can make things easier starting out since you're used to it, but being used to it could make it harder for you to get into the feel of things. But don't worry about it, changing names is quite easy. A local lady changed names after using one for 10 years and it only took about 6 months for everyone to consistently use the new name.

      Elspeth

      "I slept and dreamt that life was joy,
      I woke and saw that life was duty,
      I acted and behold, duty was joy"
      -- Rabinranath Tagore

      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2007
        In a message dated 5/18/2007 4:06:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        jimmielou111@... writes:

        <<I didn't think about this at all till I asked the question about
        glasses but --- do I need to hide my insulin pump? Should I stick it
        in a leather pouch or something? That wouldn't be difficult. It's such
        a part of me now I forget about it sometimes.>>

        You certainly can if you'd like to, or if you feel better about hiding it
        since it is obviously modern. But the first rule of the SCA in regards to
        looking medieval is that if the modern thing in question is medically necessary,
        it will be ignored. And if anybody does give you a problem about it, they
        need to get a life. We have folks who use wheelchairs and scooters; some
        doctor them up with horse heads or such, others just try to get as unobtrusive a
        color as possible, and some just go with whatever they use in the mundane
        world. I know one person who makes leather belt cases designed to hold inhalers,
        figuring that some folks would rather bury them in a bag than have them
        where they need them, and it's better for them to have them at the ready and
        somewhat disguised.

        Lancaster, PA

        Message 3 of 5 , May 21, 2007
          There were definitely medieval diabetics, and Roman and Caveman diabetics. The ones with juvenile diabetes probably didn't live a full life the kidney and ocular damage caused by the glucose crystals probably killed most of them off. There is speculation that Henry VIII suffered from age related diabetes. He began to have serious eye problems and severe gout. It could have diabetes. He also had a leg sore that just would not heal (for several years). While obviously never confirmed, it makes you think.

          T hats an interesting though about the people who were said to be crazy, or showed some sign, that we would see as low blood sugar, as being odd or as being under a spell. Most of the disorders we have now have always existed. There is just not much in way of records, because many children and babies died young for many other reasons as well.

          Back to the original question, It would be very narrow minded for someone to have an issue with a required medical device. The rules say "reasonable attempt" to hide it. The suggestions of a pouch, or a belt "attachment" are just fine. I wear contact, and sometimes glasses. I also have a medic alert necklace (penicillin allergy and hypoglycemia) that I wear at all times. I never had a person even ash what the steel chain around my neck is for.

          Sian verch Gwilim ap Lewelin
          Kingdom of Atlantia/Barony of Ponte Alto
          ---- Lynden <lyndentaylorwood@...> wrote:

          =============

          I feel it's also about education. No, a pump isn't period. So, I'm now interested in what happened to medieval diabetics? Did we exist back then? Is there any record of people having what may have been low blood sugar reactions and being mistaken as being crazy, moody, or possessed? THAT would be really interesting to know, so that if someone notices the pump and is curious, along with telling them what your pump does, you could fill them in on what life would have been like for you in "period" times!
        • hillwizard2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 21, 2007
            In a message dated 5/21/2007 6:20:15 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            liana@... writes:

            I recall reading once that diabetes was known and diagnosable at least
            by the end of our period -- and that the way it was diagnosed was by
            tasting the person's urine to see whether or not it was sweet!

            -Aryanhwy

            I know that this was done, but don't know if it was as early as the 1600's
            If you know anything about diabetes you know when a person is spilling that
            much sugar into their urine they are not long for this world

            Mike the Hillwizard

          • christopher chastain
            Message 5 of 5 , May 21, 2007
              After reading this most .......tasteful subject, my mother is a nurse that knows some older doctors that still to this day do the taste test method. I so dearly hope doctors got paid for it in our period like they do today!

              Cristauf De Castan

              To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: hillwizard2@...: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:25:32 -0400Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] where do I hide it?

              In a message dated 5/21/2007 6:20:15 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, liana@... writes:I recall reading once that diabetes was known and diagnosable at leastby the end of our period -- and that the way it was diagnosed was bytasting the person's urine to see whether or not it was sweet!-AryanhwyI know that this was done, but don't know if it was as early as the 1600's If you know anything about diabetes you know when a person is spilling that much sugar into their urine they are not long for this worldMike the Hillwizard************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]