Re: [SCA Newcomers] basic tunics

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2007
      I wrote:
      > I recommend Jane Stockton's "Getting Started with Tunics"
      > <http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/research/>.

      Gemma Northwood
      > . . .I've been told there's other period ways to do a tunic without
      > the front and back gore. I'm very small myself so I don't need much
      > room.

      Tunics with side gores but none in the front and back have been found
      <http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/type5.html>. The
      method for making one is exactly the same as for a four-gore tunic.
      You just stop before you do the inset gores. (Jane mentions this in
      her article, under "Why add gores?" between Step 5 and Step 6.)

      Don't forget, though, that you'll need enough room to take a step. If
      you're doing a floor-length tunic, make sure your side gores flare
      enough to provide it. (I suspect this concern is the reason that Jane
      mentions two-gore tunics as an option "for men".)

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • mackayjenn
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2007
        I do have a printout of that tunic from Mr. Carlson's site. That was
        the first tunic I learned how to do last summer using the tear method
        (just nip the fabric with the scissors and tear straight). It was very
        easy and I had it basted together on site at an event.

        I used my machine to stitch it up when I got home, since my hand sewing
        wasn't too solid last summer. :) I've been working on learning the hand
        stitches since, though, and I do visible seams by hand on projects.

        A taller or larger person would probably need more room. I don't have
        any trouble walking in the smaller side gore tunic, however. :) I used
        that as my middle layer between my chemise and winter coating wool T-
        tunic.

        Gemma Northwood
        Antir
        Barony of Stromgard