Re: basic tunics (was: Garb for Celts)

  • mackayjenn
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5 5:52 PM
      I hadn't seen that site before. Nice article--thanks for posting it. :)
      I've been told there's other period ways to do a tunic without the
      front and back gore. I'm very small myself so I don't need much room. I
      don't mind side gores so much, but the addition of front and back is a
      pain in the posterior. (For me, anyway.)

      Gemma Northwood
      Antir
      Barony of Stromgard

      > I recommend Jane Stockton's "Getting Started with Tunics"
      > <http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/research/>.
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6 2:19 PM
        I wrote:
        > I recommend Jane Stockton's "Getting Started with Tunics"
        > <http://needleprayse.webcon.net.au/research/>.

        Gemma Northwood
        > . . .I've been told there's other period ways to do a tunic without
        > the front and back gore. I'm very small myself so I don't need much
        > room.

        Tunics with side gores but none in the front and back have been found
        <http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/type5.html>. The
        method for making one is exactly the same as for a four-gore tunic.
        You just stop before you do the inset gores. (Jane mentions this in
        her article, under "Why add gores?" between Step 5 and Step 6.)

        Don't forget, though, that you'll need enough room to take a step. If
        you're doing a floor-length tunic, make sure your side gores flare
        enough to provide it. (I suspect this concern is the reason that Jane
        mentions two-gore tunics as an option "for men".)

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • mackayjenn
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8 9:37 AM
          I do have a printout of that tunic from Mr. Carlson's site. That was
          the first tunic I learned how to do last summer using the tear method
          (just nip the fabric with the scissors and tear straight). It was very
          easy and I had it basted together on site at an event.

          I used my machine to stitch it up when I got home, since my hand sewing
          wasn't too solid last summer. :) I've been working on learning the hand
          stitches since, though, and I do visible seams by hand on projects.

          A taller or larger person would probably need more room. I don't have
          any trouble walking in the smaller side gore tunic, however. :) I used
          that as my middle layer between my chemise and winter coating wool T-
          tunic.

          Gemma Northwood
          Antir
          Barony of Stromgard