Scottish Garb

  • solechampion
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2007
      Im farely new to the SCA. I have attended a few meetings and I have
      decided to make a scottish persona and I was wondering if any1 has any
      good ideas for scottish garb. If i could i would make a kilt but if i
      tryed i would probly put many holes in my hands. If you can help me
      let me know.
      Josh Griffin (mundane) havnt got a SCA name approved yet
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2007
        Josh Griffin wrote:
        > . . .I was wondering if any1 has any good ideas for scottish garb.. .
        > .If i could i would make a kilt but if i tryed i would probly put many
        > holes in my hands.

        That's O.K. Kilts are post-period, anyway
        <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?d=117&a=134>.

        What you'd've worn depends in part on when you lived which of
        Scotland's cultures you belonged to. (The Medieval Naming Guide for
        Scotland gives a good summary of the options where the latter is
        concerned <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/scottish.shtml>.) If you're
        interested in the culture that's modernly associated with kilts, you're
        looking for the Scottish Gaels.

        The Medieval Scotland website <http://medievalscotland.org/> should
        probably be your first stop. In addition to clothing, it has resources
        related to names, heraldry, and various other topics of interest.

        If you're interested in portraying a Scottish Gael, you can draw on
        information on the clothing of Irish Gaels, which was very similar.
        Finnacan Dub's "Early Gaelic Dress: An Introduction"
        <http://b-b-fam.home.texas.net/Coblaith/EarlyGaelicDress/default.html>
        will be of use if you plan to have an early-period persona.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
      • mackayjenn
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2007
          See the previous thread on Celtic garb a few pages back. I posted a
          bunch of links on Scottish (medieval) stuff.

          Gemma Northwood
          Antir
          Barony of Stromgard
        • Patrick Callahan
          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2007
            Most kilts are out of period. In "Life Of Red Hugh
            O'Donnell" written by Lughaidh O'Clery 1594, there are
            discriptions of the early belted plaids, which were
            the first "kilts". Oldest ancester to the modern
            kilt, of today.

            Krezye Padreyk