Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Garb for Celts

  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2007
      At 06:26 PM 5/2/2007, you wrote:
      ><http://www.geocities.com/hansensmtn/toby/basic_tunic.htm>http://www.geocities.com/hansensmtn/toby/basic_tunic.htm
      >
      >Here's an article on how to do a basic T-tunic (using rectangular
      >construction or other method)--used into the early 14th century in
      >England. You can't go wrong with this garb. :) Very comfy. Think
      >medieval equivalent of our casual sweats. :) You can make it dressy
      >in silk and with trim, or plain and functional in either linen or
      >wool.

      The fold and cut method is okay--I use it for quick and dirty garb
      for my boys--

      but you can do much better with this

      http://www.forest.gen.nz

      or

      http://www.virtue.to

      Laurensa

    • mackayjenn
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2007
        Well, OK, there's always The T-Tunic the Period Way, but you have to
        have more help with that one when you first do it. I did it with help,
        and I don't like the front gore and back gore look. Ick... There's more
        than one way to do a tunic, though...

        Gemma Northwood
        Antir
        Barony of Stromgard
      • Patrick Callahan
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2007
          Greetings:

          These sites were created be Matthew Newsome curator of
          the Scottish Tartan Museum. He has done a lot of
          research, in and out of time period and every thing he
          writes is generally good.

          http://www.scottishtartans.org/

          http://www.albanach.org/

          http://blog.albanach.org/2006/04/northumberland-tartan.html

          His articles on SCA time period clothing include "The
          Leine -- Early Gaelic Tunic", "The Early History Of
          The Kilt", "Pre-Culloden Tartans", and his blog on
          "Northumberland Tartan" from Friday, April 28, 2006.

          Some of the "Pre-Culloden Tartans" are time period and
          many are still being produced today. The tartans are
          closest in appearance to time period tartans are:
          "Northumberland Tartan", "Shepherd's Check", "Rob Roy
          Tartan", "Moncrieff Tartan", "Old MacLachlan Tartan",
          and "Robin Hood Tartan". In fact the "Braveheart
          Tartan" worn in the movie was not that far off, in
          appearance, thought the kilt the shirt and other
          aspect of his clothing were wrong.

          Krezye Padreyk