Re: Garb for Celts

  • Adrienne
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2007
      M'lady,

      Thank you so much for this information --- makes it easier to find a
      place to start hunting for garb for my hubby.

      Adrienne of Ravenshore
      Kingdom of the West

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mackayjenn" <mackayjenn@...> wrote:

      > Celts are an ancient people--you probably meant later medieval or
      > Renaissance Scottish or Irish.
      >
      > Celts were a bunch of tribes and not just the ancestors of the
      > Scottish and Irish stock. Celts could be found in the Galicia region
      > of Spain and all over the place. One of the links in here shows a
      > history timeline for the ancient Celts. I have a lovely, big, fat
      > book with tons of photos and historical info on the Celts at home.
      >
      > Ancient Celts:
      > http://www.le.ac.uk/ar/stj/intro.htm
      >
      > http://www.archaeolink.com/celts_ancient_celtic_civilizations.htm
      >
      > http://www.geographia.com/belgium/bxhis01.htm
      >
      > http://www.uidaho.edu/student_orgs/arthurian_legend/celtic/celtic.html
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celt
    • mackayjenn
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2007
        You're welcome. Glad to be of help. :) I'll go stick my nose back in my
        Roman garb book. (I'm still trying hard not to drool all over the yummy
        pages-hehehehe..... ;) )

        Gemma Northwood
        Antir
        Barony of Stromgard

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Adrienne"
      • Dianne & Greg Stucki
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2007
          At 06:26 PM 5/2/2007, you wrote:
          ><http://www.geocities.com/hansensmtn/toby/basic_tunic.htm>http://www.geocities.com/hansensmtn/toby/basic_tunic.htm
          >
          >Here's an article on how to do a basic T-tunic (using rectangular
          >construction or other method)--used into the early 14th century in
          >England. You can't go wrong with this garb. :) Very comfy. Think
          >medieval equivalent of our casual sweats. :) You can make it dressy
          >in silk and with trim, or plain and functional in either linen or
          >wool.

          The fold and cut method is okay--I use it for quick and dirty garb
          for my boys--

          but you can do much better with this

          http://www.forest.gen.nz

          or

          http://www.virtue.to

          Laurensa

        • mackayjenn
          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2007
            Well, OK, there's always The T-Tunic the Period Way, but you have to
            have more help with that one when you first do it. I did it with help,
            and I don't like the front gore and back gore look. Ick... There's more
            than one way to do a tunic, though...

            Gemma Northwood
            Antir
            Barony of Stromgard
          • Patrick Callahan
            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2007
              Greetings:

              These sites were created be Matthew Newsome curator of
              the Scottish Tartan Museum. He has done a lot of
              research, in and out of time period and every thing he
              writes is generally good.

              http://www.scottishtartans.org/

              http://www.albanach.org/

              http://blog.albanach.org/2006/04/northumberland-tartan.html

              His articles on SCA time period clothing include "The
              Leine -- Early Gaelic Tunic", "The Early History Of
              The Kilt", "Pre-Culloden Tartans", and his blog on
              "Northumberland Tartan" from Friday, April 28, 2006.

              Some of the "Pre-Culloden Tartans" are time period and
              many are still being produced today. The tartans are
              closest in appearance to time period tartans are:
              "Northumberland Tartan", "Shepherd's Check", "Rob Roy
              Tartan", "Moncrieff Tartan", "Old MacLachlan Tartan",
              and "Robin Hood Tartan". In fact the "Braveheart
              Tartan" worn in the movie was not that far off, in
              appearance, thought the kilt the shirt and other
              aspect of his clothing were wrong.

              Krezye Padreyk