Re: [SCA Newcomers] another new guy

  • hillwizard2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2007
      Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too

      I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
      I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
      Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
      *don'ts* for your first year.
      and read it

      When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

      I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
      Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
      Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a name so will call
      myself
      Mike the Hillwizard

      In a message dated 5/1/2007 7:25:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      liana@... writes:

      Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":
      > Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks

      Oooh, *shudder*. Don't go with "the Lost". It's a byname which screams
      "I don't know anything about medieval names". :) Descriptive bynames
      tend to be straightforward: the short, the large, the red, the crooked,
      the cook, the fletcher, etc. Abstract descriptives like 'the lost' are
      vanishingly rare in most cultures.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2007
        Quoting hillwizard2@...:

        > Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too
        >

        > I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
        > I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
        > Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
        > *don'ts* for your first year.
        > and read it

        Here it is

        Believe it or not, those numbers tell you how many messages that there
        are. I notice that we're up to over 10,000 now. When you look at the
        messsage above, you'll see all the replies attached to it, so there
        will be good advice in there as well!

        jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2007
          Quoth hillwizard2@...:
          > When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

          Different people handle multiple personas in different ways.
          For me, my primary persona is that - it's who I am at almost
          all events and on email correspondence. I have a second
          persona who is an academic (which is my real-life occupation).
          One event a year that I always try to get to is Kingdom
          University, where I try to teach at least two classes. Since
          my primary persona (an early 11thcentury Welsh woman) wouldn't
          ever be in such a situation, I've started having my alternate
          persona be the one to teach the classes - after all, it's
          something he'd actually do!

          It depends on how you handle things. If specific personas
          are tied very closely to specific garb or events, then people
          will probably not have any problems keeping track of things.
          If you're patient and willing to remind me people regularly
          which persona you are ("Oh, Michael wasn't able to come, but
          I'm here in his stead. I'm Jehan, I live in France and came
          over for a visit."), then again, it shouldn't be too confusing.

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2007
            My brother is in the Kingdom of An-Tir. His name is Renart of Berwick and he lives 80 miles west of Seattle. You'll have a great time there.
            Ælfwynn

            liana@ellipsis. cx writes:

            Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":
            > Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks

            Oooh, *shudder*. Don't go with "the Lost". It's a byname which screams
            "I don't know anything about medieval names". :) Descriptive bynames
            tend to be straightforward: the short, the large, the red, the crooked,
            the cook, the fletcher, etc. Abstract descriptives like 'the lost' are
            vanishingly rare in most cultures.

            ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at http://www.aol com.

          • mackayjenn
            Message 5 of 10 , May 8, 2007
              You can have more than one persona without having to change your
              name. I know people who use the same name, though they may be in
              different garb than their main persona. In this circumstance,
              they're "visiting" somewhere else and dressing like the locals. :)

              It does tend to confuse people if you keep changing your name on them
              everytime you change your garb.

              I tend to wear whatever I'm in the mood for--depending on the
              weather. I made a 12th century tunic and hood for cold weather. I
              have also wear Ren wench for 16th century when it's warmer, and an
              attempt at a cotehardie and surcoat for 14th century. I'm working on
              making a Roman lady's ensemble for the hot summer months.

              In all of this changing of garb, I haven't had to change my name,
              which my friends all say makes it easier to remember my persona's
              name. My persona is English and I haven't really developed much more
              than a few ideas about her, which I'm still rumbling around in my
              head.

              Take your time to get the feel for what you like. You don't have to
              decide on everything all at once. You might change your mind, or see
              some other amazing thing that captures your fancy.

              Personas are like Lay's Potato Chips--you can't just eat one (or in
              this case, have just one). :)

              Gemma Northwood
              Antir
              Barony of Stromgard