Re: another new guy

  • velvetclad
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1 8:58 AM
      Welcome Mike,
      I will get a list together of useful sites for a gentleman of the
      16th century (Henry VIII). That is also my personas timeline. As for
      Welsh heritage, that too is something Henry VIII shared with you. He
      was quite proud of his Welsh heritage.
      As for garb, decide what "class" you wish to be. If you wish to be
      middle to upper class, garb can be quite elaborate. I'd advise
      getting a fearless seamstress or tailor! See if your library has the
      book "The Tudor Tailor". Unless you are a seriously accomplished
      tailor yourself, this may scare you away from the 1500's, but it is
      very helpful.
      As an aside, in my old Kingdom at least, the Tudor and Elizabethan
      men were quite an attraction for the ladies! Maybe the tights?!And
      codpieces?
      I have made a wonderful Elizabethian doublet buy altering a thrift
      store purchased mens cordaroy(sp?) vest/jacket combo. The jacket gave
      me extra fabric to contruct sleeves and a dagged edge on the bottom
      (is it called a peplum even when used for men?)I am NO seamstess
      either...I have been known to put off sewing on a button until the
      style comes back around and is now "retro"...
      Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to help.
      Anna
    • hillwizard2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1 9:10 AM
        Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too

        I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
        I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
        Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
        *don'ts* for your first year.
        and read it

        When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

        I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
        Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
        Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a name so will call
        myself
        Mike the Hillwizard

        In a message dated 5/1/2007 7:25:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        liana@... writes:

        Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":
        > Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks

        Oooh, *shudder*. Don't go with "the Lost". It's a byname which screams
        "I don't know anything about medieval names". :) Descriptive bynames
        tend to be straightforward: the short, the large, the red, the crooked,
        the cook, the fletcher, etc. Abstract descriptives like 'the lost' are
        vanishingly rare in most cultures.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 1 9:49 AM
          Quoting hillwizard2@...:

          > Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too
          >

          > I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
          > I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
          > Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
          > *don'ts* for your first year.
          > and read it

          Here it is

          Believe it or not, those numbers tell you how many messages that there
          are. I notice that we're up to over 10,000 now. When you look at the
          messsage above, you'll see all the replies attached to it, so there
          will be good advice in there as well!

          jerusha
          -----
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          University of Tennessee
        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1 10:04 AM
            Quoth hillwizard2@...:
            > When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

            Different people handle multiple personas in different ways.
            For me, my primary persona is that - it's who I am at almost
            all events and on email correspondence. I have a second
            persona who is an academic (which is my real-life occupation).
            One event a year that I always try to get to is Kingdom
            University, where I try to teach at least two classes. Since
            my primary persona (an early 11thcentury Welsh woman) wouldn't
            ever be in such a situation, I've started having my alternate
            persona be the one to teach the classes - after all, it's
            something he'd actually do!

            It depends on how you handle things. If specific personas
            are tied very closely to specific garb or events, then people
            will probably not have any problems keeping track of things.
            If you're patient and willing to remind me people regularly
            which persona you are ("Oh, Michael wasn't able to come, but
            I'm here in his stead. I'm Jehan, I live in France and came
            over for a visit."), then again, it shouldn't be too confusing.

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1 7:46 PM
              My brother is in the Kingdom of An-Tir. His name is Renart of Berwick and he lives 80 miles west of Seattle. You'll have a great time there.
              Ælfwynn

              liana@ellipsis. cx writes:

              Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":
              > Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks

              Oooh, *shudder*. Don't go with "the Lost". It's a byname which screams
              "I don't know anything about medieval names". :) Descriptive bynames
              tend to be straightforward: the short, the large, the red, the crooked,
              the cook, the fletcher, etc. Abstract descriptives like 'the lost' are
              vanishingly rare in most cultures.

              ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at http://www.aol com.

            • mackayjenn
              Message 6 of 10 , May 8 9:13 AM
                You can have more than one persona without having to change your
                name. I know people who use the same name, though they may be in
                different garb than their main persona. In this circumstance,
                they're "visiting" somewhere else and dressing like the locals. :)

                It does tend to confuse people if you keep changing your name on them
                everytime you change your garb.

                I tend to wear whatever I'm in the mood for--depending on the
                weather. I made a 12th century tunic and hood for cold weather. I
                have also wear Ren wench for 16th century when it's warmer, and an
                attempt at a cotehardie and surcoat for 14th century. I'm working on
                making a Roman lady's ensemble for the hot summer months.

                In all of this changing of garb, I haven't had to change my name,
                which my friends all say makes it easier to remember my persona's
                name. My persona is English and I haven't really developed much more
                than a few ideas about her, which I'm still rumbling around in my
                head.

                Take your time to get the feel for what you like. You don't have to
                decide on everything all at once. You might change your mind, or see
                some other amazing thing that captures your fancy.

                Personas are like Lay's Potato Chips--you can't just eat one (or in
                this case, have just one). :)

                Gemma Northwood
                Antir
                Barony of Stromgard