Re: [SCA Newcomers] another new guy

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2007
      Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":
      > Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks

      Oooh, *shudder*. Don't go with "the Lost". It's a byname which screams
      "I don't know anything about medieval names". :) Descriptive bynames
      tend to be straightforward: the short, the large, the red, the crooked,
      the cook, the fletcher, etc. Abstract descriptives like 'the lost' are
      vanishingly rare in most cultures. And if you think about it, 'the lost'
      really doesn't make sense. Does it mean that the person doesn't know where
      he is? That wouldn't last long - as soon as he's been in the city for a
      day or two, he's bound to find out where he is. Is he damned to hell?
      That's not exactly a physical characteristic which is readily identifiable...
      Is he confused? Then you're more apt to get something really straightforward,
      like <le fol> 'the foolish'. :)

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2007
        Welcome Mike,
        I will get a list together of useful sites for a gentleman of the
        16th century (Henry VIII). That is also my personas timeline. As for
        Welsh heritage, that too is something Henry VIII shared with you. He
        was quite proud of his Welsh heritage.
        As for garb, decide what "class" you wish to be. If you wish to be
        middle to upper class, garb can be quite elaborate. I'd advise
        getting a fearless seamstress or tailor! See if your library has the
        book "The Tudor Tailor". Unless you are a seriously accomplished
        tailor yourself, this may scare you away from the 1500's, but it is
        very helpful.
        As an aside, in my old Kingdom at least, the Tudor and Elizabethan
        men were quite an attraction for the ladies! Maybe the tights?!And
        codpieces?
        I have made a wonderful Elizabethian doublet buy altering a thrift
        store purchased mens cordaroy(sp?) vest/jacket combo. The jacket gave
        me extra fabric to contruct sleeves and a dagged edge on the bottom
        (is it called a peplum even when used for men?)I am NO seamstess
        either...I have been known to put off sewing on a button until the
        style comes back around and is now "retro"...
        Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to help.
        Anna
      • hillwizard2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2007
          Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too

          I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
          I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
          Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
          *don'ts* for your first year.
          and read it

          When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

          I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
          Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
          Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a name so will call
          myself
          Mike the Hillwizard

          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2007
            Quoting hillwizard2@...:

            > Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too
            >

            > I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
            > I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
            > Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
            > *don'ts* for your first year.
            > and read it

            Here it is

            Believe it or not, those numbers tell you how many messages that there
            are. I notice that we're up to over 10,000 now. When you look at the
            messsage above, you'll see all the replies attached to it, so there
            will be good advice in there as well!

            jerusha
            -----
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            University of Tennessee
          • Sara L Uckelman
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2007
              Quoth hillwizard2@...:
              > When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

              Different people handle multiple personas in different ways.
              For me, my primary persona is that - it's who I am at almost
              all events and on email correspondence. I have a second
              persona who is an academic (which is my real-life occupation).
              One event a year that I always try to get to is Kingdom
              University, where I try to teach at least two classes. Since
              my primary persona (an early 11thcentury Welsh woman) wouldn't
              ever be in such a situation, I've started having my alternate
              persona be the one to teach the classes - after all, it's
              something he'd actually do!

              It depends on how you handle things. If specific personas
              are tied very closely to specific garb or events, then people
              will probably not have any problems keeping track of things.
              If you're patient and willing to remind me people regularly
              which persona you are ("Oh, Michael wasn't able to come, but
              I'm here in his stead. I'm Jehan, I live in France and came
              over for a visit."), then again, it shouldn't be too confusing.

              -Aryanhwy

              --
              vita sine literis mors est
              http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                My brother is in the Kingdom of An-Tir. His name is Renart of Berwick and he lives 80 miles west of Seattle. You'll have a great time there.
                Ælfwynn

                liana@ellipsis. cx writes:

                Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":
                > Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks

                Oooh, *shudder*. Don't go with "the Lost". It's a byname which screams
                "I don't know anything about medieval names". :) Descriptive bynames
                tend to be straightforward: the short, the large, the red, the crooked,
                the cook, the fletcher, etc. Abstract descriptives like 'the lost' are
                vanishingly rare in most cultures.

                ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at http://www.aol com.

              • mackayjenn
                Message 7 of 10 , May 8, 2007
                  You can have more than one persona without having to change your
                  name. I know people who use the same name, though they may be in
                  different garb than their main persona. In this circumstance,
                  they're "visiting" somewhere else and dressing like the locals. :)

                  It does tend to confuse people if you keep changing your name on them
                  everytime you change your garb.

                  I tend to wear whatever I'm in the mood for--depending on the
                  weather. I made a 12th century tunic and hood for cold weather. I
                  have also wear Ren wench for 16th century when it's warmer, and an
                  attempt at a cotehardie and surcoat for 14th century. I'm working on
                  making a Roman lady's ensemble for the hot summer months.

                  In all of this changing of garb, I haven't had to change my name,
                  which my friends all say makes it easier to remember my persona's
                  name. My persona is English and I haven't really developed much more
                  than a few ideas about her, which I'm still rumbling around in my
                  head.

                  Take your time to get the feel for what you like. You don't have to
                  decide on everything all at once. You might change your mind, or see
                  some other amazing thing that captures your fancy.

                  Personas are like Lay's Potato Chips--you can't just eat one (or in
                  this case, have just one). :)

                  Gemma Northwood
                  Antir
                  Barony of Stromgard