Re: [SCA Newcomers] another new guy

  • Susan B. Farmer
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2007
      Quoting hillwizard2@...:

      > Hi
      >
      > I am just starting out and am not sure what to do. I am more interested in
      > arts and sciences then fighting I currently belong to several SCA lists here
      > on Yahoo. This weekend a friend took me to an event and I had a lot of fun
      > so I will be going to more
      > I think my persona will be either French or Welsh around the time of Henry
      > the 8th.
      > How much time can I spend trying to pick a name and Persona?

      OH, honey, you can spend as much time as you want! Nobody expects you
      to have a Full Blown Persona/Kit the first event you go to! (You do
      know Great Harry was Welsh, don't you? :-)

      Somewhere floating on this list (and it ought to be In The Files
      Section -- hint, hint) is a list of *don'ts* for your first year.
      Take a while and explore things. Yahoo lists are great places to ask
      questions. There are lots of friendly folks here.

      > I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
      > Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
      > Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a
      > name so will call
      > myself
      > Mike the Hillwizard

      Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks
      who are GivenName of ThorsMountain because they haven't settled on a
      name yet. And some folks never completely develop a persona -- others
      (far more creative than I) can nail one down very quickly. Others,
      have multiple persona!

      Have fun!
      jerusha kilgore (lowland Scot -- well the name is -- in Italy)
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      University of Tennessee
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2007
        Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":
        > Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks

        Oooh, *shudder*. Don't go with "the Lost". It's a byname which screams
        "I don't know anything about medieval names". :) Descriptive bynames
        tend to be straightforward: the short, the large, the red, the crooked,
        the cook, the fletcher, etc. Abstract descriptives like 'the lost' are
        vanishingly rare in most cultures. And if you think about it, 'the lost'
        really doesn't make sense. Does it mean that the person doesn't know where
        he is? That wouldn't last long - as soon as he's been in the city for a
        day or two, he's bound to find out where he is. Is he damned to hell?
        That's not exactly a physical characteristic which is readily identifiable...
        Is he confused? Then you're more apt to get something really straightforward,
        like <le fol> 'the foolish'. :)

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2007
          Welcome Mike,
          I will get a list together of useful sites for a gentleman of the
          16th century (Henry VIII). That is also my personas timeline. As for
          Welsh heritage, that too is something Henry VIII shared with you. He
          was quite proud of his Welsh heritage.
          As for garb, decide what "class" you wish to be. If you wish to be
          middle to upper class, garb can be quite elaborate. I'd advise
          getting a fearless seamstress or tailor! See if your library has the
          book "The Tudor Tailor". Unless you are a seriously accomplished
          tailor yourself, this may scare you away from the 1500's, but it is
          very helpful.
          As an aside, in my old Kingdom at least, the Tudor and Elizabethan
          men were quite an attraction for the ladies! Maybe the tights?!And
          codpieces?
          I have made a wonderful Elizabethian doublet buy altering a thrift
          store purchased mens cordaroy(sp?) vest/jacket combo. The jacket gave
          me extra fabric to contruct sleeves and a dagged edge on the bottom
          (is it called a peplum even when used for men?)I am NO seamstess
          either...I have been known to put off sewing on a button until the
          style comes back around and is now "retro"...
          Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to help.
          Anna
        • hillwizard2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2007
            Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too

            I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
            I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
            Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
            *don'ts* for your first year.
            and read it

            When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

            I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
            Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
            Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a name so will call
            myself
            Mike the Hillwizard

            Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":

            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2007
              Quoting hillwizard2@...:

              > Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too
              >

              > I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
              > I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
              > Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
              > *don'ts* for your first year.
              > and read it

              Here it is

              Believe it or not, those numbers tell you how many messages that there
              are. I notice that we're up to over 10,000 now. When you look at the
              messsage above, you'll see all the replies attached to it, so there
              will be good advice in there as well!

              jerusha
              -----
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              University of Tennessee
            • Sara L Uckelman
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                Quoth hillwizard2@...:
                > When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

                Different people handle multiple personas in different ways.
                For me, my primary persona is that - it's who I am at almost
                all events and on email correspondence. I have a second
                persona who is an academic (which is my real-life occupation).
                One event a year that I always try to get to is Kingdom
                University, where I try to teach at least two classes. Since
                my primary persona (an early 11thcentury Welsh woman) wouldn't
                ever be in such a situation, I've started having my alternate
                persona be the one to teach the classes - after all, it's
                something he'd actually do!

                It depends on how you handle things. If specific personas
                are tied very closely to specific garb or events, then people
                will probably not have any problems keeping track of things.
                If you're patient and willing to remind me people regularly
                which persona you are ("Oh, Michael wasn't able to come, but
                I'm here in his stead. I'm Jehan, I live in France and came
                over for a visit."), then again, it shouldn't be too confusing.

                -Aryanhwy

                --
                vita sine literis mors est
                http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                  My brother is in the Kingdom of An-Tir. His name is Renart of Berwick and he lives 80 miles west of Seattle. You'll have a great time there.
                  Ælfwynn

                  Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too

                  I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
                  I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
                  Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
                  *don'ts* for your first year.
                  and read it

                  When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

                  I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
                  Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
                  Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a name so will call
                  myself
                  Mike the Hillwizard

                  In a message dated 5/1/2007 7:25:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  liana@ellipsis. cx writes:

                  Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":
                  > Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks

                  Oooh, *shudder*. Don't go with "the Lost". It's a byname which screams
                  "I don't know anything about medieval names". :) Descriptive bynames
                  tend to be straightforward: the short, the large, the red, the crooked,
                  the cook, the fletcher, etc. Abstract descriptives like 'the lost' are
                  vanishingly rare in most cultures.

                  ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at http://www.aol com.

                • mackayjenn
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 8, 2007
                    You can have more than one persona without having to change your
                    name. I know people who use the same name, though they may be in
                    different garb than their main persona. In this circumstance,
                    they're "visiting" somewhere else and dressing like the locals. :)

                    It does tend to confuse people if you keep changing your name on them
                    everytime you change your garb.

                    I tend to wear whatever I'm in the mood for--depending on the
                    weather. I made a 12th century tunic and hood for cold weather. I
                    have also wear Ren wench for 16th century when it's warmer, and an
                    attempt at a cotehardie and surcoat for 14th century. I'm working on
                    making a Roman lady's ensemble for the hot summer months.

                    In all of this changing of garb, I haven't had to change my name,
                    which my friends all say makes it easier to remember my persona's
                    name. My persona is English and I haven't really developed much more
                    than a few ideas about her, which I'm still rumbling around in my
                    head.

                    Take your time to get the feel for what you like. You don't have to
                    decide on everything all at once. You might change your mind, or see
                    some other amazing thing that captures your fancy.

                    Personas are like Lay's Potato Chips--you can't just eat one (or in
                    this case, have just one). :)

                    Gemma Northwood
                    Antir
                    Barony of Stromgard