Re: [SCA Newcomers] another new guy

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1 4:22 AM
      Quoth hillwizard2@...:
      > I think my persona will be either French or Welsh around the time of Henry
      > the 8th.

      Here are some websites you might find useful:

      16th C Welsh Names
      --------------------
      "A Simple Guide to Constructing 16th Century Welsh Names (in English Contexts)"
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/welsh16.html

      "Late Sixteenth Century Welsh Names"
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/talanWelsh16.html

      "Women's Names in the First Half of 16th Century Wales"
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/welshWomen16/
      (while this focuses on women's names, since a lot of women's names
      incorporated elements of their father's or husband's names, you can
      find info about masculine names here too.)

      "Naming Practices in 16th Century Gloucestershire: Welsh Influences"
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/GlocNamePractices/WelshInfluences.html

      "Some 16th & 17th C Welsh Masculine Names"
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/welsh/welsh.html

      16th C French Names
      -------------------

      "Given Names from Brittany, 1384-1600"
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/

      "Sixteenth Century Norman Names"
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/cateline/norman16.html

      "Names from Sixteenth Century Picardy"
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/senlis/

      "Names from a 1587 Tax Roll from Provins"
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/provins1587.html

      "Names Found in Ambleny Registers 1578-1616"
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/Ambleny/

      "Names from Artois, 1601"
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/french1601.html

      > How much time can I spend trying to pick a name and Persona?

      As much time as you could possibly want. There are many people who have
      been involved in the SCA for 20+ years who haven't settled on a name or
      have a very vague persona.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1 6:47 AM
        Quoting hillwizard2@...:

        > Hi
        >
        > I am just starting out and am not sure what to do. I am more interested in
        > arts and sciences then fighting I currently belong to several SCA lists here
        > on Yahoo. This weekend a friend took me to an event and I had a lot of fun
        > so I will be going to more
        > I think my persona will be either French or Welsh around the time of Henry
        > the 8th.
        > How much time can I spend trying to pick a name and Persona?

        OH, honey, you can spend as much time as you want! Nobody expects you
        to have a Full Blown Persona/Kit the first event you go to! (You do
        know Great Harry was Welsh, don't you? :-)

        Somewhere floating on this list (and it ought to be In The Files
        Section -- hint, hint) is a list of *don'ts* for your first year.
        Take a while and explore things. Yahoo lists are great places to ask
        questions. There are lots of friendly folks here.

        > I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
        > Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
        > Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a
        > name so will call
        > myself
        > Mike the Hillwizard

        Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks
        who are GivenName of ThorsMountain because they haven't settled on a
        name yet. And some folks never completely develop a persona -- others
        (far more creative than I) can nail one down very quickly. Others,
        have multiple persona!

        Have fun!
        jerusha kilgore (lowland Scot -- well the name is -- in Italy)
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1 7:23 AM
          Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":
          > Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks

          Oooh, *shudder*. Don't go with "the Lost". It's a byname which screams
          "I don't know anything about medieval names". :) Descriptive bynames
          tend to be straightforward: the short, the large, the red, the crooked,
          the cook, the fletcher, etc. Abstract descriptives like 'the lost' are
          vanishingly rare in most cultures. And if you think about it, 'the lost'
          really doesn't make sense. Does it mean that the person doesn't know where
          he is? That wouldn't last long - as soon as he's been in the city for a
          day or two, he's bound to find out where he is. Is he damned to hell?
          That's not exactly a physical characteristic which is readily identifiable...
          Is he confused? Then you're more apt to get something really straightforward,
          like <le fol> 'the foolish'. :)

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1 8:58 AM
            Welcome Mike,
            I will get a list together of useful sites for a gentleman of the
            16th century (Henry VIII). That is also my personas timeline. As for
            Welsh heritage, that too is something Henry VIII shared with you. He
            was quite proud of his Welsh heritage.
            As for garb, decide what "class" you wish to be. If you wish to be
            middle to upper class, garb can be quite elaborate. I'd advise
            getting a fearless seamstress or tailor! See if your library has the
            book "The Tudor Tailor". Unless you are a seriously accomplished
            tailor yourself, this may scare you away from the 1500's, but it is
            very helpful.
            As an aside, in my old Kingdom at least, the Tudor and Elizabethan
            men were quite an attraction for the ladies! Maybe the tights?!And
            codpieces?
            I have made a wonderful Elizabethian doublet buy altering a thrift
            store purchased mens cordaroy(sp?) vest/jacket combo. The jacket gave
            me extra fabric to contruct sleeves and a dagged edge on the bottom
            (is it called a peplum even when used for men?)I am NO seamstess
            either...I have been known to put off sewing on a button until the
            style comes back around and is now "retro"...
            Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to help.
            Anna
          • hillwizard2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1 9:10 AM
              Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too

              I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
              I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
              Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
              *don'ts* for your first year.
              and read it

              When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

              I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
              Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
              Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a name so will call
              myself
              Mike the Hillwizard

              Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":

              Message 6 of 10 , May 1 9:49 AM
                Quoting hillwizard2@...:

                > Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too
                >

                > I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
                > I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
                > Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
                > *don'ts* for your first year.
                > and read it

                Here it is

                Believe it or not, those numbers tell you how many messages that there
                are. I notice that we're up to over 10,000 now. When you look at the
                messsage above, you'll see all the replies attached to it, so there
                will be good advice in there as well!

                jerusha
                -----
                Susan Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                University of Tennessee
              • Sara L Uckelman
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1 10:04 AM
                  Quoth hillwizard2@...:
                  > When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

                  Different people handle multiple personas in different ways.
                  For me, my primary persona is that - it's who I am at almost
                  all events and on email correspondence. I have a second
                  persona who is an academic (which is my real-life occupation).
                  One event a year that I always try to get to is Kingdom
                  University, where I try to teach at least two classes. Since
                  my primary persona (an early 11thcentury Welsh woman) wouldn't
                  ever be in such a situation, I've started having my alternate
                  persona be the one to teach the classes - after all, it's
                  something he'd actually do!

                  It depends on how you handle things. If specific personas
                  are tied very closely to specific garb or events, then people
                  will probably not have any problems keeping track of things.
                  If you're patient and willing to remind me people regularly
                  which persona you are ("Oh, Michael wasn't able to come, but
                  I'm here in his stead. I'm Jehan, I live in France and came
                  over for a visit."), then again, it shouldn't be too confusing.

                  -Aryanhwy

                  --
                  vita sine literis mors est
                  http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 1 7:46 PM
                    My brother is in the Kingdom of An-Tir. His name is Renart of Berwick and he lives 80 miles west of Seattle. You'll have a great time there.
                    Ælfwynn

                    Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too

                    I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
                    I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
                    Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
                    *don'ts* for your first year.
                    and read it

                    When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

                    I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
                    Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
                    Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a name so will call
                    myself
                    Mike the Hillwizard

                    In a message dated 5/1/2007 7:25:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                    liana@ellipsis. cx writes:

                    Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":
                    > Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks

                    Oooh, *shudder*. Don't go with "the Lost". It's a byname which screams
                    "I don't know anything about medieval names". :) Descriptive bynames
                    tend to be straightforward: the short, the large, the red, the crooked,
                    the cook, the fletcher, etc. Abstract descriptives like 'the lost' are
                    vanishingly rare in most cultures.

                    ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at http://www.aol com.

                  • mackayjenn
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 8 9:13 AM
                      You can have more than one persona without having to change your
                      name. I know people who use the same name, though they may be in
                      different garb than their main persona. In this circumstance,
                      they're "visiting" somewhere else and dressing like the locals. :)

                      It does tend to confuse people if you keep changing your name on them
                      everytime you change your garb.

                      I tend to wear whatever I'm in the mood for--depending on the
                      weather. I made a 12th century tunic and hood for cold weather. I
                      have also wear Ren wench for 16th century when it's warmer, and an
                      attempt at a cotehardie and surcoat for 14th century. I'm working on
                      making a Roman lady's ensemble for the hot summer months.

                      In all of this changing of garb, I haven't had to change my name,
                      which my friends all say makes it easier to remember my persona's
                      name. My persona is English and I haven't really developed much more
                      than a few ideas about her, which I'm still rumbling around in my
                      head.

                      Take your time to get the feel for what you like. You don't have to
                      decide on everything all at once. You might change your mind, or see
                      some other amazing thing that captures your fancy.

                      Personas are like Lay's Potato Chips--you can't just eat one (or in
                      this case, have just one). :)

                      Gemma Northwood
                      Antir
                      Barony of Stromgard