another new guy

  • hillwizard2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hi

      I am just starting out and am not sure what to do. I am more interested in
      arts and sciences then fighting I currently belong to several SCA lists here
      on Yahoo. This weekend a friend took me to an event and I had a lot of fun
      so I will be going to more
      I think my persona will be either French or Welsh around the time of Henry
      the 8th.
      How much time can I spend trying to pick a name and Persona?

      I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
      Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
      Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a name so will call
      myself
      Mike the Hillwizard

    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2007
        Quoth hillwizard2@...:
        > I think my persona will be either French or Welsh around the time of Henry
        > the 8th.

        Here are some websites you might find useful:

        16th C Welsh Names
        --------------------
        "A Simple Guide to Constructing 16th Century Welsh Names (in English Contexts)"
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/welsh16.html

        "Late Sixteenth Century Welsh Names"
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/talanWelsh16.html

        "Women's Names in the First Half of 16th Century Wales"
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/welshWomen16/
        (while this focuses on women's names, since a lot of women's names
        incorporated elements of their father's or husband's names, you can
        find info about masculine names here too.)

        "Naming Practices in 16th Century Gloucestershire: Welsh Influences"
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/GlocNamePractices/WelshInfluences.html

        "Some 16th & 17th C Welsh Masculine Names"
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/welsh/welsh.html

        16th C French Names
        -------------------

        "Given Names from Brittany, 1384-1600"
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/latebreton/

        "Sixteenth Century Norman Names"
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/cateline/norman16.html

        "Names from Sixteenth Century Picardy"
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/senlis/

        "Names from a 1587 Tax Roll from Provins"
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/provins1587.html

        "Names Found in Ambleny Registers 1578-1616"
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mari/Ambleny/

        "Names from Artois, 1601"
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/french1601.html

        > How much time can I spend trying to pick a name and Persona?

        As much time as you could possibly want. There are many people who have
        been involved in the SCA for 20+ years who haven't settled on a name or
        have a very vague persona.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2007
          Quoting hillwizard2@...:

          > Hi
          >
          > I am just starting out and am not sure what to do. I am more interested in
          > arts and sciences then fighting I currently belong to several SCA lists here
          > on Yahoo. This weekend a friend took me to an event and I had a lot of fun
          > so I will be going to more
          > I think my persona will be either French or Welsh around the time of Henry
          > the 8th.
          > How much time can I spend trying to pick a name and Persona?

          OH, honey, you can spend as much time as you want! Nobody expects you
          to have a Full Blown Persona/Kit the first event you go to! (You do
          know Great Harry was Welsh, don't you? :-)

          Somewhere floating on this list (and it ought to be In The Files
          Section -- hint, hint) is a list of *don'ts* for your first year.
          Take a while and explore things. Yahoo lists are great places to ask
          questions. There are lots of friendly folks here.

          > I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
          > Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
          > Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a
          > name so will call
          > myself
          > Mike the Hillwizard

          Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks
          who are GivenName of ThorsMountain because they haven't settled on a
          name yet. And some folks never completely develop a persona -- others
          (far more creative than I) can nail one down very quickly. Others,
          have multiple persona!

          Have fun!
          jerusha kilgore (lowland Scot -- well the name is -- in Italy)
          -----
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          University of Tennessee
        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2007
            Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":
            > Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks

            Oooh, *shudder*. Don't go with "the Lost". It's a byname which screams
            "I don't know anything about medieval names". :) Descriptive bynames
            tend to be straightforward: the short, the large, the red, the crooked,
            the cook, the fletcher, etc. Abstract descriptives like 'the lost' are
            vanishingly rare in most cultures. And if you think about it, 'the lost'
            really doesn't make sense. Does it mean that the person doesn't know where
            he is? That wouldn't last long - as soon as he's been in the city for a
            day or two, he's bound to find out where he is. Is he damned to hell?
            That's not exactly a physical characteristic which is readily identifiable...
            Is he confused? Then you're more apt to get something really straightforward,
            like <le fol> 'the foolish'. :)

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2007
              Welcome Mike,
              I will get a list together of useful sites for a gentleman of the
              16th century (Henry VIII). That is also my personas timeline. As for
              Welsh heritage, that too is something Henry VIII shared with you. He
              was quite proud of his Welsh heritage.
              As for garb, decide what "class" you wish to be. If you wish to be
              middle to upper class, garb can be quite elaborate. I'd advise
              getting a fearless seamstress or tailor! See if your library has the
              book "The Tudor Tailor". Unless you are a seriously accomplished
              tailor yourself, this may scare you away from the 1500's, but it is
              very helpful.
              As an aside, in my old Kingdom at least, the Tudor and Elizabethan
              men were quite an attraction for the ladies! Maybe the tights?!And
              codpieces?
              I have made a wonderful Elizabethian doublet buy altering a thrift
              store purchased mens cordaroy(sp?) vest/jacket combo. The jacket gave
              me extra fabric to contruct sleeves and a dagged edge on the bottom
              (is it called a peplum even when used for men?)I am NO seamstess
              either...I have been known to put off sewing on a button until the
              style comes back around and is now "retro"...
              Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to help.
              Anna
            • hillwizard2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too

                I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
                I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
                Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
                *don'ts* for your first year.
                and read it

                When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

                I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
                Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
                Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a name so will call
                myself
                Mike the Hillwizard

                Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":

                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                  Quoting hillwizard2@...:

                  > Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too
                  >

                  > I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
                  > I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
                  > Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
                  > *don'ts* for your first year.
                  > and read it

                  Here it is

                  Believe it or not, those numbers tell you how many messages that there
                  are. I notice that we're up to over 10,000 now. When you look at the
                  messsage above, you'll see all the replies attached to it, so there
                  will be good advice in there as well!

                  jerusha
                  -----
                  Susan Farmer
                  sfarmer@...
                  University of Tennessee
                • Sara L Uckelman
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                    Quoth hillwizard2@...:
                    > When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

                    Different people handle multiple personas in different ways.
                    For me, my primary persona is that - it's who I am at almost
                    all events and on email correspondence. I have a second
                    persona who is an academic (which is my real-life occupation).
                    One event a year that I always try to get to is Kingdom
                    University, where I try to teach at least two classes. Since
                    my primary persona (an early 11thcentury Welsh woman) wouldn't
                    ever be in such a situation, I've started having my alternate
                    persona be the one to teach the classes - after all, it's
                    something he'd actually do!

                    It depends on how you handle things. If specific personas
                    are tied very closely to specific garb or events, then people
                    will probably not have any problems keeping track of things.
                    If you're patient and willing to remind me people regularly
                    which persona you are ("Oh, Michael wasn't able to come, but
                    I'm here in his stead. I'm Jehan, I live in France and came
                    over for a visit."), then again, it shouldn't be too confusing.

                    -Aryanhwy

                    --
                    vita sine literis mors est
                    http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                      My brother is in the Kingdom of An-Tir. His name is Renart of Berwick and he lives 80 miles west of Seattle. You'll have a great time there.
                      Ælfwynn

                      Thank you My Lady Aryanhwy, and My Lady Susan too

                      I really liked "Michael the lost" but see your point
                      I have been reading back post but do you know how many of them there are?
                      Just knowing what to look for is a big help. I will fine the list of
                      *don'ts* for your first year.
                      and read it

                      When a person has multiple personas is that confusing?

                      I am lost in the Kingdom of An Tir - Somewhere south of the College of
                      Cranehaven, north of the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, to the west of the Shire of
                      Ambergard and east of the Barony of Madrone. I am also without a name so will call
                      myself
                      Mike the Hillwizard

                      In a message dated 5/1/2007 7:25:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                      liana@ellipsis. cx writes:

                      Quoth "Susan B. Farmer":
                      > Michael of An Tir works too. So does Michael the Lost. We have folks

                      Oooh, *shudder*. Don't go with "the Lost". It's a byname which screams
                      "I don't know anything about medieval names". :) Descriptive bynames
                      tend to be straightforward: the short, the large, the red, the crooked,
                      the cook, the fletcher, etc. Abstract descriptives like 'the lost' are
                      vanishingly rare in most cultures.

                      ************ ********* ********* ******** See what's free at http://www.aol com.

                    • mackayjenn
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 8, 2007
                        You can have more than one persona without having to change your
                        name. I know people who use the same name, though they may be in
                        different garb than their main persona. In this circumstance,
                        they're "visiting" somewhere else and dressing like the locals. :)

                        It does tend to confuse people if you keep changing your name on them
                        everytime you change your garb.

                        I tend to wear whatever I'm in the mood for--depending on the
                        weather. I made a 12th century tunic and hood for cold weather. I
                        have also wear Ren wench for 16th century when it's warmer, and an
                        attempt at a cotehardie and surcoat for 14th century. I'm working on
                        making a Roman lady's ensemble for the hot summer months.

                        In all of this changing of garb, I haven't had to change my name,
                        which my friends all say makes it easier to remember my persona's
                        name. My persona is English and I haven't really developed much more
                        than a few ideas about her, which I'm still rumbling around in my
                        head.

                        Take your time to get the feel for what you like. You don't have to
                        decide on everything all at once. You might change your mind, or see
                        some other amazing thing that captures your fancy.

                        Personas are like Lay's Potato Chips--you can't just eat one (or in
                        this case, have just one). :)

                        Gemma Northwood
                        Antir
                        Barony of Stromgard