creating a heraldic device (was: Have been exposed to SCA..but am new!)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 29, 2007
      BJ wrote:
      > . . .I guess I really need some information on how to get started. I
      > don't even know how to go about making a device. . .

      > Please somebody help me get my Roman self up and running and SCA ready.

      First, look at the heraldic primer on the Laurel Sovereign at Arms'
      homepage <http://www.sca.org/heraldry/primer/>.

      Then go to the Medieval Heraldry Archive, and try "flipping through"
      some period armories to get an idea of what real medieval and
      Renaissance heraldry looked like <http://www.s-gabriel.org/heraldry/>.
      (They don't appear to have anything specific to Rome, but if you look
      at a few things from various locales you'll at least get an idea of
      general trends.)

      When you've got a few ideas as to what you like--your favorite
      tinctures, charges that appeal to you, arrangements you think look
      good, etc.--take them to an experienced consulting herald so that (s)he
      can help you settle on a design. This might be your branch herald or
      the submissions herald for your region, principality, or kingdom, as
      applies. Or you might write to a heralds' list in your kingdom
      <http://www.sca.org/heraldry/kingdoms.html> to ask for help, or submit
      a request to the Academy of St. Gabriel
      <http://www.s-gabriel.org/gabemail.html>.

      Try not to get too attached to a specific design before you've talked
      to a competent herald. If you accidentally put together something
      that's not registerable, you'll only end up frustrating yourself.
      Instead, think in terms like "I like blue and white, bends, and
      flowers," or "I like this, this, and this device that I saw in
      such-and-such armory, and want something with a similar feel that uses
      black." A good consulting herald will be able to show you workable
      options incorporating the details you want, then conflict-check those
      you like best.

      By the way, it's a good idea when you write in to this list to include
      information on where in the Knowne World you reside--at least the name
      of your kingdom. Often the answers will be affected by your location.
      (For instance, someone might be able to recommend a herald to whom you
      could speak, if we knew where you are, or point you to a website with
      specific information on the submissions process for your kingdom.) I
      recommend you make a habit of including the information in your
      signature. That way, you don't have to make a special effort to
      remember it every time you have a query.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • mackayjenn
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
        Roman clothing references:

        The World of Roman Costume (available from Amazon.com)

        Roman Clothing and Fashion (available from Amazon.com)

        Both of these are recommended by the SCA Romans group on Yahoo, and the
        garb laurel who's been helping me has both of them. There's lots of
        info and pictures covering the BC and AD eras of Rome. Rome has a long
        history.

        Gemma Northwood
        (who is doing Roman in the summertime)
      • mackayjenn
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
          I can help you out as I've been RESEARCHING up the wazoo on Roman
          stuff... I'll be in the SCA for 1 full year come this June. I have
          access to books (2 Roman ones I just bought) and plenty of garb
          laurels eager to help! :)

          I'm in Vancouver, WA, but I'll try and answer or direct you to
          websites, ect...

          My hubby is doing an early Roman persona at the moment (1st century
          AD) as the clothes are super easy. I'll get him into later Roman as I
          have compiled more info to know the difference.

          Romans aren't scum of the Earth--they had a highly advanced
          civilization. Most of our law today is based on stuff they developed,
          as well as many of the Romance languages (from Latin): Spanish,
          Portuguese, Italian, and English has influence from Latin...

          Start Googling and visit your library! You'll find a boatload
          (literally) of books on Romans. I can't even get through my whole
          pile from the library yet! :)

          Interested in food? I can direct you to books on that, too.

          Remind me and I'll get those titles for you since they're at home and
          I'm at work.

          I get funny looks when I say 1st c. AD Roman, but ya know, my hubby
          can't fight due to an injury, so I have to make him happy somehow!

          Gemma Northwood
          Antir
          Barony of Stromgard
          (Norse country)
        • mackayjenn
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
            You don't have to be an expert to make simple Roman clothing. There's
            hardly any sewing needed at all.

            A guy's tunic can be made without sleeves or with sleeves. I made one
            for my hubby without sleeves.

            What did I do? Simpler than getting rid of a pimple! ;)

            First step: What do you want to make?

            For the example, we'll say a man's basic Roman sleeveless tunic.
            Scared to death of cutting? Don't worry!! You don't need to cut much
            of anything--promise.

            For a medium sized man, you'll need 2 1/4 yrds of fabric. My husband
            isn't very tall, but if your guy is taller, measure him with a
            measuring tape (or ask someone from your barony to do it if you need
            help) from his shoulders to knees. If worse comes to worse, take any
            piece of fabric you have, fold it over so you have two pieces, (a
            sheet works if you have one, although this will be too long for a
            Roman knee length tunic) to

            For ease of use and affordability as a total beginner at sewing, I
            recommend fully using inexpensive 100% cotton UNBLEACHED and undyed
            Osnaburg fabric for your first attempt. The fabric store attendant
            can help you. The stuff is oatmeal colored, and it looks kind of like
            linen, but it isn't. It is breathable fabric and easy care to wash
            and dry.

            I took 100% unbleached Osnaburg 45" wide fabric (for basic camp wear
            tunic) and measured him to find out where to let it fall for knee
            length. Then all I did was leave a hole big enough for his arms to go
            through. I pinned the sides of the front and back together and
            stitched a straight stitch on the sewing machine from the bottom raw
            edge to the last pin, which would be under his arm. That was it...
            and then I had to make a bottom hem and a rolled hem around the neck
            where I carefully cut the slit so his head could go through. (The top
            of the fabric folded over has no head opening, so you have to
            carefully cut one open.)

            This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAAAAAAASSSSSSSYYYY!!!!

            Sample Directions:

            For a medium sized man:

            2 1/4 yard of 100% cotton Osnaburg unbleached fabric. This is
            available for dirt cheap at Joann's Fabrics or other fabric shop.

            If your guy is bigger than a medium, ask for help to measure him!

            You can cheat and check the measurements on a Roman soldier costume
            pattern available in the Simplicity fabric pattern books on the
            table.

            DO NOT waste money on the pattern! They aren't period!! And this is
            SOOOOOO EASSSSSYYYY you don't need a pattern--I promise! I wasted the
            money on one and I haven't used it at all. I didn't need to.

            So, after you determine how much yardage is needed for knee length
            guy's tunic, take the fabric to the counter. Ask them to cut the
            amount needed (per your project). Then take that home. Chuck it in
            the wash on whatever temperature you normally wash your whites. Then
            dry it.

            Ok, next... take the piece of fabric, fold it in half so it's equal
            like a sandwich on both sides. Match your selvages (that's the part
            of the fabric that isn't cut. It is bound by the weaving machinery.)

            Then pin from the bottom raw edge (cut edge) up to the top where you
            folded OVER the fabric. Leave a gap big enough for arms to go through.

            Then sew up the straight seam--that easy so far, eh?

            Next, do the same on the other side. Leave gap for arm to go through.
            The bound edges should be your side seams, and the raw edge your
            bottom hem that will go to the knee.

            OK, next... hold the fabric up to your guy and see where his neck is
            at the shut end (top of fabric--no hole cut yet). Put a pin on each
            side of his neck to mark it. VERY carefully cut a straight slit in
            the center of the fold and have him see if he can get it over his
            head. If not, take off... cut a little longer. DO NOT cut a hole--
            just a slit.

            Once he can get it over his head, have him stick his arms in the gaps
            for his arms. The fabric will fall down the arm forming what looks
            like short, short "sleeves."

            OK, then what you do next is: hem the bottom up until the raw edge is
            enclosed. Whip stitch it closed. (ASK for help on how to--sewing
            ladies in your group can show you.)

            Do a narrow hem on the neck slit. Again, ask for help--it's not hard.

            Voila, you're done!!! :)

            Here's some basic info links:

            http://legvi.tripod.com/id42.html

            http://www.crystalinks.com/romeclothing.html

            http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/jlsgloss.html

            http://www.historyonthenet.com/Lessons/worksheets/romans/Romans_clothi
            ng.doc
            http://www.historyonthenet.com/Romans/clothing.htm

            (Either link has the same info in case you can't open a PDF)

            http://www.gallica.co.uk/celts/clothing2.htm

            I know it says Celts, but Celts, Norse, Greeks, and Romans wore the
            peplos female tube dress--super easy.

            Gemma Northwood
            Antir
            Barony of Stromgard
          • mackayjenn
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
              More links:

              Roman reenacting group (authentic--good source of info & links)
              http://www.larp.com/legioxx/cloak.html

              Looks like a GOOD site! :)
              http://www.villaivlilla.com/patterns.htm

              WARNING (beep) WARNING (beep): NOT authentic site--cheap costume for
              plays!!! Learn what NOT to look like!!)
              http://www.realarmorofgod.com/roman-soldier-costume.html

              Better sites:
              Keep digging in this site... it's a reenactors' site and has nice
              photos of stuff...
              http://www.roman-empire.net/society/soc-dress.html

              http://members.aol.com/TWard64340/rome/rome.htm

              http://www.topology.org/ideas/chlamys.html

              Byzantine (after Roman empire, but what survived of Roman empire
              after split)
              http://members.tripod.com/BlackTauna/byzantineclothinginfo.html

              http://www.allfreeessays.net/student/Fashions_of_the_Roman_World.html

              http://www.mmdtkw.org/VRomanClothing.html

              SCA link
              http://endlesshills.aethelmearc.net/links.html

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_in_ancient_Rome
              (Be careful of Wikipedia--sometimes they don't list their sources,
              but on average, it's OK... double check better sources, though)

              History links
              http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/romans/economy/index.htm

              Roman fibula (Roman equivalent of a safety pin for holding the garb
              in place-some of these are examples of what period pieces found look
              like--I'm not suggesting you buy an antique!!)

              http://www.ancientlibrary.com/smith-dgra/0538.html

              Museum pictures of fibula:
              http://www.khm.at/system2E.html?/staticE/page1602.html
              http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/ho/05/euw/ho_1998.76.htm
              http://www.orkneyjar.com/archaeology/shetlandromans.htm
              http://www.romanrelics.com/
              http://www.spurlock.uiuc.edu:591/FMPro?-DB=artifacts&-
              Format=details.html&accession%20number=1924.02.0527-&-Find

              http://www.papyrusbooks.com/cgi-bin/pap455/6486.html

              http://www.aurorahistoryboutique.com/P000038.htm

              http://www.geocities.com/hssmold/finds4.htm

              Roman coins
              http://www.romancoinsonline.com/fibulas.htm

              http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/gold.htm

              Fibulas
              http://www.romancoins.net/forsale%20fibulas.htm

              http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?
              vpar=99

              http://www.answers.com/topic/brooch

              http://www.edgarlowen.com/a43fib.html

              http://www.thehonourablecompany.com/brooch.htm

              http://www.pomexport.com/O%20-%20RomanFibula/O%20-%
              20RomanFibula_i.html

              Coins, ect
              http://www.artsandcoins.com/AncientArtifacts.html

              http://medievalwares.com/romanantiquities.htm

              http://metaldetectingtours.com/htm/artifact_coin_finds_celtic_roman_03
              .shtml

              WARNING: If you are interested in a real antique for sale, contact a
              museum! They often have real stuff that they have extras of to sell.
              Make sure you're not buying a fake.

              OR go reproduction route if you don't want to break the bank (the
              other links give you a good idea of what to look for)
              http://www.museumreproductions.co.uk/roman.htm

              Roman oil lamps
              http://www.museumsurplus.com/RomanAntiquitiesPAGE1.htm

              Reproduction Roman glass:
              http://www.romanglassmakers.co.uk/archill.htm

              Other suppliers of reproduction Roman stuff:
              http://legvi.tripod.com/cherusci/id7.html

              Where to find suppliers (2):
              http://www.celticgarb.org/clothing/accessories.html

              http://www.legionxxiv.org/supplierlinks/