9913Re: [SCA Newcomers] spinning/sheep

  • Leslie Orr
    Apr 5, 2007
      i use suffolk, merino, angora from rabbits, and hampshire. they all spin
      beautifully. you use them for different things. i use the hamp and suffolk
      for socks, rugs, coats, and other sturdy things. the other two i use for
      sweaters and softer luxury items.
      i usually don't soak wool overnight.i wash it in an old fashioned double
      tub w hot water first to reduce the lanolin and then with hot to rinse.
      there are several good wool washing soaps out there.
      remember this is HAIR- you can use shampoo and conditioner!
      if you clean the fleece of debris before washing it greatly reduces the job.
      we shear our own and usually dedebris before shearing. this reduces work
      during carding.and lets u get to the fun of spinning sooner. i use the
      leftover water on my compost pile. can't hurt it might help it.
      i sometimes hang wool on the line to dry. or on bushes. or on screens.
      depends on how much and how warm it is.