      From: beauhooligan <beauhooligan@...>
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 5:09:46 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] this might seem wierd

      Hi Wendy,

      In my vicinity the place to turn Is a store called
      "Rumplestilskin" in Sacramento, Ca. This is a full service
      store with everything from cleaned and carded fleece to
      spinning wheels, looms, and crochet / knitting material and
      gear. I love the place. They will also put you in touch with
      the Sacramento Weaver and Spinners Guild. These folks are
      real "know it alls". There are some of the most talented
      people in all of the fiber arts. Members taught me how to do
      things I never dreamed of, like breaking down flax and
      turning it into linen. The store has a constantly turning
      stock of anything from whole washed fleece to coned yarn
      ready to weave, and a great selection of yarn for the
      knitter. The store is a survivor, as the economy of the last
      ten years has seen great places like "Straw into Gold" in
      Emeryville fold under; a serious loss to Bay Area spinners
      and weavers.
      As to black fleece, there really are black sheep. It's hard
      to find, but natural black wool sliver is out there. As to
      pure black as opposed to gray; natural fleece is Mother
      Earth organic, so even fleece from a black sheep has a
      certain amount of variegation. This is one of the things I
      love about working with un-dyed wool. The slight variegation
      produces depth and a visual texture that no dye pot can
      achieve. I have probably 20 rough tote containers full of
      everything from washed fleece to yarn that is hand spun,
      plied, and coned that are waiting for my next trip to the
      Guild. One of Mary Ann's specific last wishes was that I
      give this treasure trove to the guild after she went to
      wind, and it be given to the members. The Guild has periodic
      fashion shows and competitions, and the whole shebang is to
      be given to the members as prize awards so that her efforts
      will live on with the people she loved, and those who have
      come after. And, no, none of it is for sale. I take "if I
      die" instructions to the exact letter. The big 48" four
      harness Gilmore floor loom will be sold when I can bring
      myself to let it go, as will three or four spinning wheels.
      I'm going to keep three spinning wheels, the drum carder and
      spool winder, and a very nice eight shaft Schacht Baby Wolf
      loom for my future efforts. I just don't need the rest. I'll
      post the items in the Guild newsletter and give those folks
      first choice, then sell the smaller items on eBay. The
      Gilmore loom will have to be sold locally, as breaking it
      down and shipping it would be very expensive. One of the
      best things about Gilmore looms is that the Gilmore
      manufacture is done right here in Stockton. Mister Gilmore
      was a kind of genius at simple, practical, and elegant
      designs that are fit to survive generations of use. He
      passed some years back, but his designs live on. He was a
      great man, and the whole weaving community took a loss when
      he went to wind.
      To all who are interested in fiber arts; the best first
      step is finding a weaver and spinners guild, even if you
      have to drive 50 miles or more to be involved. Sacramento is
      48 miles away, and I have never, ever, regretted the drive
      to participate and learn from these wonderful people. I've
      even been a model in the fashion shows, and for this big
      redneck that's jumping off the high board ;-)=
      Adios,

      Bill H.