8348appropriate fabrics (was: Garb Question)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    May 1, 2006
      Selena wrote:
      > What is the appropiate fabric to use when making your first outfit. .
      > .I was under the impression. . .that you were supposed to use the
      > fabric you would have found at that time, or as close to it as
      > possible(ie. linen)

      One of the hallmarks of the SCA is that it is up to each individual to
      make her or his own decisions as to what is appropriate. The rules
      <http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf> say (1) that SCA events are intended
      to evoke the atmosphere of the pre-17th century European Middle Ages
      and Renaissance and (2) "[a]nyone may attend Society events provided he
      or she wears an attempt at pre-17th century clothing". That's it.
      There are no official judgments--or even recommendations--about exactly
      what an individual should wear.

      I, personally, believe that "attempt" means "try your best". So, I do
      my best to make things that look like real pre-17th century clothes, as
      well as things that contribute as much as possible to the evocation of
      the aforementioned atmosphere. That does mean using the closest thing
      to period fabrics available to me (as well as the closest thing to
      period construction and decoration), because nothing looks like linen
      but linen and nothing looks like wool but wool. But that's my personal
      choice; you are free to make your own determination.

      Which fabrics would have been available to your persona will be
      determined by when and where she "lives". If you want to be as
      authentic as possible to a specific period, you'll have to learn more
      about that period's options. A good place to start looking is the
      Atlantian Arts and Sciences Links pages for costume and clothing
      <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
      action=displaycat&catid=10>; just click to the relevant area(s). If
      you just want a sense of what was broadly available, so that you can
      make your best effort at a general medieval outfit, I recommend
      Reconstructing History's "Your First Garb"
      <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html>. The
      comments and instructions there apply to most of Europe during most of
      the SCA millenium.

      If you are concerned less with what's technically allowed than with
      what's expected and accepted, you'll have to turn to your local group
      for information. Prevalent attitudes about authenticity vary widely
      from area to area.

      Welcome to the Society, and good luck!

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad