7554[SCA Newcomers] Re: Names...Again

  • Tia
    Aug 17, 2005
      roflol Oh Boy, stuck my foot in that one.....I knew i should have
      rechecked that refrence....
      Back to the drawing Board.......Cateline Dont worry I am one of
      these Bull headed people who likes to do things on there own & gets
      carried away when they think they have "GOT IT"

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Elliott
      <souriete@g...> wrote:
      > Temair, "ingen" means "daughter of" not just "of". If you like, I
      can
      > email SCA Heralds and ask how to put in Gaelic "Temair of the
      Creek"
      > and whether they would consider it to be a reasonable byname in
      > Gaelic. (I don't know a lot of Gaelic myself, but I do know who to
      > ask!) You can join SCA Heralds yourself and ask, too; it isn't a
      > closed list but it is sometimes very busy.
      >
      > The problem with finding the correct words for your elements in
      Gaelic
      > is ... it might not be that simple. If you look at "Quick and Easy
      > Gaelic Names" in the St. Gabriel's Medieval Name Archive (
      > http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/ ),
      you
      > will notice that even in the simple patronymics, the father's name
      > (after "mac" or "ingen" or "inghean") changes spelling, sometimes
      > substantially. I don't KNOW the same thing will happen in a
      > constructed Irish place-name, but I don't know for sure that it
      won't,
      > either. In fact, when I consult people with Gaelic names, I do my
      best
      > and then tell them to "Allow changes" on their form, because I am
      no
      > expert in Gaelic, and if they don't allow changes and I made the
      > tiniest error, the name will be returned for more work, which is
      > always a bummer.
      >
      > In English place names there several places which are essentially
      > number+tree, like Sevenoaks, which appears as Sevenac in 1200. A
      few
      > other elements that appear after a number are –hampton , which is a
      > farmstead, -stone which means what it looks like, and –hide, which
      is
      > a unit of measure for land. There may be more; those are what I
      saw on
      > a quick run-through of Victor Watt's _The Cambridge Dictionary of
      > English Place-Names_. I didn't look at every number (I think I
      look at
      > five and seven, to be honest, and relied a bit on my memory).
      >
      > I hope this helps a little. Please feel free to ask me more
      questions
      > on your name, on or off list. I would be glad to help you, or
      anyone
      > else, to work on their name.
      >
      > Cateline
      >
      > PS: You're not a dunce! We just misunderstood each other.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic