7550Re: Names...Again

  • Tia
    Aug 16, 2005
      Perhaps I am not quite understanding what you mean..do you want me
      to translate "Of Four Cat Creek" into Gaelic?

      If I am reading these right..... According to The SCA Heraldry Page
      Submission Guidelines http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html#2.2
      Part 2 Compatible Name Content section 2 & 3, And Part 3 Styling &
      Grammer section 2 name style #3 I would Think it "should" *l* be
      acceptable the way it is....

      I do Know that not everyone interprets things the same way I do & I
      could be Missing a Nuance they are going for.

      Again Thank you for your Help & Information.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Elliott
      <souriete@g...> wrote:
      > There is a difference between saying "locative names are rare but
      > period in Ireland" and saying "Temair Four Cat Creek is period."
      The
      > next step is to figure out what Irish locative names look like and
      see
      > if Four Cat Creek fits that pattern or can be made to fit that
      pattern
      > -- we're talking about entering heavy linguistics territory here.
      > (Certainly, beyond me -- I could help a person with an English
      > locative, but I am no expert in Irish Gaelic.)
      >
      > Of course, as you mentioned before, you can call yourself whatever
      you
      > want. If you chose to register a device, you will have to register
      it
      > under a name that meets the CoA's minimum standards for
      authenticity.
      > Frankly, with what you have now (and the documentation you have
      > mentioned on the list), I doubt your name is registerable. Your
      > choice, of course. I always recommend that my clients go as period
      as
      > they can stand with their name -- I believe they will be happier
      with
      > it in the long run, and I like people to be happy.
      >
      > Cateline
      >

      > On 8/16/05, Tia <teedle77@y...> wrote:
      > > Temair Of Four Cat Creek is a do-able name choice and not
      quite as un
      > > heard of as you think, if you check Gabriels page under
      > > the "Vanishingly rare section" it notes Locative
      Bynames.....Rare yes
      > > But Not unheard of.
      > > Thank you for your help & Information :-)

      > > Medieval costume
      > > Medieval knights

      Service.

      > --
      > http://www.geocities.com/souriete/
      >
      > If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at
      > least teach 'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic