7546Re: [SCA Newcomers] Names...Again

  • Kristine Elliott
    Aug 8, 2005
      My lady,

      Are you interested in an Irish name? I am guessing so, since you chose
      the first name Temair, which is distinctly Irish. The problem with
      both "Temair Four Cat Creek" and "Temair Four Cat" is that neither are
      anything close to a standard Irish Gaelic name in form. Information on
      what period Gaelic names look like can be found here:
      http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/ (Yes, it
      says Scottish, but Scottish Gaelic and Irish Gaelic are closely
      related and they put their names together the same way.)

      For information on the name Temair, including how to pronounce it in
      period fashion, please check out:
      http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?2177+0 and
      http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi?1380+0 .

      If you need help creating an Irish name, I will do my best to help
      you, but it is not a language I am comfortable in -- I will probably
      have to pass all but the most basic questions onto Sharon Krossa,
      myself. She actively comments on the SCAHeralds list.

      As a general note, http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/ is an excellent
      place to look for a name.

      Let me know if I can help you any more.

      Thanks,

      Cateline

      On 8/8/05, Tia <teedle77@...> wrote:
      > Names seem to be a major topic of late, & I wanted to run this by
      > everyone on the List...
      >
      > Temair of Four Cat Creek Is that to Long a Location to use? Or should
      > I just be Temair Four Cats?
      >
      > I am Hoping Temair will be easy enough for me to remember thats who I
      > am *l*

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic