6837Re: [SCA Newcomers] got a name, need some links to garb....

  • Alison Choyce
    Jan 18, 2005
      Yes, that link does go to the SCA O & A search engine. That particular link searches for name elements. The problem with checking it yourself, is that the rules about what conflicts with what can be confusing. Your best bet is to find your local herald (or nearby interested herald) and ask him/her to check it for you. I am a herald, but my interest is picture heraldry (arms) and there are a large number of folks in my locale that do names extraordinarily well, so I haven't needed to learn conflict checking on names. I do know that most name returns are not for conflict, but for not being period style/name/spelling/etc. The website for St. Gabriel's Academy not only lists period names, but also discusses period naming practices and style for a variety of cultures, so I would recommend using St Gabriel's.

      Enjoy, and good luck!
      Alison Wodehalle
      Shire of Hartshorn-dale, East kingdom

      In a message dated 1/17/2005 10:20:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      monkeygirl@... writes:

      <<I think the second is where (I think) you check to see if your name is
      already registered by someone else. Best bet maybe is to find a homepage for
      your area and look up the local herald. They do this sort of stuff for fun. at
      least I think they do...>>