6835Re: [SCA Newcomers] got a name, need some links to garb....

    Jan 18, 2005
      In a message dated 1/17/2005 10:00:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      aferrell@... writes:

      <<British Costume from the earliest times to 1820
      by Mrs Charles H. Ashdown
      ISBN 0-486-41813-8

      Costume 1066-1966
      John Peacock
      Thames and Hudson publishers>>

      These two I would be very skeptical of and back up anything you find in them
      from another source, like Crocker-Owens, first.
      The first is extremely out of date and has all the pitfalls of the average
      19th century costuming book - ie almost everything is redrawn from another
      source, there are no photographs or often even sources of the original given,
      and the contours and clothing lines are often "adjusted" to fit what the
      Victorian considered appropriate.

      Peacock is notoriously inaccurate for the same reasons. He's got thousands
      of redrawings in there, no indication whatsoever of where they came from or
      how accurately they were copied, and I know that for my own area of study, the
      12th century, he perpetuates garb myths that were struck down 50 years ago
      by people looking more closely at existing 12th century sources.

      Lancaster, PA