6834Re: [SCA Newcomers] got a name, need some links to garb....

    Jan 18, 2005
      In a message dated 1/17/2005 8:31:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      LadyAranel@... writes:

      <<I've decided on a name Angelo-Saxon from 10th century... AElfwyn. How did
      the Saxon's do bynames? Can anyone lead me to a good resource? Also, any good
      links to garb from this culture. I Googled but didn't find much... Any help
      appreciated!>>

      The absolutely best naming source on the web is the Academy of Saint Gabriel
      at _http://www.s-gabriel.org_ (http://www.s-gabriel.org) ; also the Medieval
      Naming Guides at _http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/_
      (http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/) which I believe are linked to the St. Gabriel site. Either
      or both of those should have a resource for constructing Saxon bynames on
      them, as well as lists of documented names.

      As far as Anglo-Saxon garb, there is a British re-enactment group called
      Regia Anglorum that has a website chock full of all sorts of info about
      clothing , material goods, etc from this culture (as well as Vikings in England and
      Normans) during the period 850-1100. You can check it out at
      _http://www.regia.org_ (http://www.regia.org) These guys are serious re-enactors who
      frequently get used for film work and educational work at British historical sites,
      and they know their stuff.

      Lancaster, PA