6622Re: [SCA Newcomers] Need Persona Help

    Nov 9, 2004
      In a message dated 11/7/2004 6:22:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, CleKHD@...
      writes:

      <<I have narrowed it down to English or Scottish 1066-1300.
      What I don't know is what the significant differences are between
      these 2 cultures and within this time period as it applies to the
      SCA. I know the general history, monarchs, wars, etc., but that
      doesn't really help me regarding this. What I don't know is how
      these cultures and time period affect my choice of garb, activities,
      etc. >>

      If you are looking at English or Lowland Scot there isn't a lot of difference
      culturally. Highland Scot may be significantly different but I'm not sure
      how much hard info we have for Highland Scot in that time frame. If you havent'
      found this site already, try www.medievalscotland.org - it's one of the best
      sites on the web for info on Scottish history and culture.
      Persona choice only affect syour choice of activities in the SCA if you want
      it to. Just because you choose to be, say, a Scot form 1250 doesn't mean that
      you can't do blackwork or use Elizabethan brewing recipes if you want to. My
      personal choice is to stick as close to what my persona would have known as
      possible, but you certainly aren't required to.

      Lancaster, PA