5952Re: [SCA Newcomers] Fabric questions

    Jul 1, 2004
      In a message dated 7/1/2004 3:55:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<So dont go ragging on people and saying it's wrong to use cheeper fabric
      and old sheets just because we cant all have money like you. >>

      I was not ragging on people who have to use cheap fabric if they want garb at
      all, nor on people who choose to use cheap fabric because they want to spend
      their money on other things, like period musical instruments, armor, or a
      flat-screen TV - or even the rent on their apartment or food for their kids. Nor
      did I say it was "wrong" to use cheap fabrics - I said I found it better to
      use period ones. Saying one thing is better does not mean the other thing is
      "wrong". I'm not rolling in money, contrary to your opinion - one paycheck a
      month pays my mortgage, and all but about $200 of the other one goes to pay
      other bills. Most of that $200 a month goes for gas, food, mundane clothes (which
      I wear until they fall apart, regardless of changing fashions), and taking
      care of my cats. I still choose to use some of that money, spent wisely, to
      buy period fabrics for my garb.

      I was responding to the people who insist that the only reason to consider
      using period fabrics is if you want to win competitions. I gave a variety of
      reasons why I have found saving my money for period fabrics to be more practical
      and a better use of the money I do have. Your mileage may vary, of course,
      and you are certainly free to choose to spend your money where you will, and to
      wear what you like. I simply tried to present an alternative and far more
      practical argument to competitions as a reason to use period fabrics, and got
      attacked for it.

      Lancaster, PA