5216Re: [SCA Newcomers] Handbook?

    Nov 2, 2003
      In a message dated 11/2/2003 10:52:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:
      <<I, too feel that the Knowne Worlde Handbook is well worth the
      <<price! One can often find answers to obscure questions within the
      <<bounty which it provides, as well as simply being VERY good reading
      <<on a rainy afternoon. It can also spark ideas which might not
      <<otherwise come to you. Go For It!
      I agree with everyone else that it's a good buy, and after 14 years I still
      pull it out once in a while to answer questions or just to do a bit of light
      reading in it.

      Just be aware that some of the material is *extremely* dated (it hasn't been
      revised in more than 15 years), such as the number of kingdoms, some of the
      terminology, and a lot of the very basic articles such as the ones on medieval
      food (which really doesn't address the topic very well at all), and the basic
      garb section (one article of which was originally suggestions for the guests at
      the author's medieval wedding). On the other hand, the section on basic
      heraldry is excellent, as in general is the glossary, and the camping section can
      be invaluable for those who haven't done much camping before.

      Lancaster, PA