4668Re: [SCA Newcomers] My first SCA event, LOTS of Questions.

  • Ld. Dylan
    May 27, 2003
      Very good points all. The event situation, more particularly the
      DURATION of the event and the SITE of the event will dictate what
      additional equipment you need to take.
      I have been at events which lasted a week or more, and were in some
      pretty PRIMATIVE areas. Some places, true, don't allow fire pits, and
      yes, some places you don't need to trench around the perimeter of
      your tent.
      And some places DO have showers available.
      Sometimes, though, you can get a site where there is NOTHING, and
      what you bring with you determines how good a time you have and how
      comfortable your camping experience. I know of one guy in Ansteorra
      who brings a full sized break-down bed to put together in his tent!
      The point is, if you find that you need something, and don't have it,
      is a whole lot worse than having something and not needing it.
      "Be Prepaired" applies to SCA just as it does to the Boy Scouts.

      Ld. Dylan

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 5/23/2003 3:51:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >
      > My two cents on the additional items list:
      >
      > > Insect repellant
      > > Air Matresses
      >
      > Insect repellant is a must, and some sort of mattress, although I
      prefer the
      > self-inflating closed cell foam ones. Less chance of punctures,
      and more
      > insulating as you don't have all that cold air to heat up. If it's
      likely to be
      > cold at night, and you use an air mattress, put one of those silver
      space
      > blankets, silver side up, between you and the mattress.
      >
      > > Towels (both paper and cloth)
      >

      > And tissues, and an extra roll of toilet paper in case the privies
      run out.

      > > Dish soap
      >

      > If you plan on cooking for yourself/washing dishes. Not usually
      needed for
      > weekend evetns in my area.
      >
      > > FIRST AID KIT!!!!!!!!
      >

      > Including any over-the-counter meds you commonly use, and any
      prescription
      > meds. It is miserable trying to find someone who has ibuprofen or
      TUMS when you