4657Re: [SCA Newcomers] My first SCA event, LOTS of Questions.

    May 26, 2003
      In a message dated 5/23/2003 3:51:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      My two cents on the additional items list:

      > Insect repellant
      > Air Matresses

      Insect repellant is a must, and some sort of mattress, although I prefer the
      self-inflating closed cell foam ones. Less chance of punctures, and more
      insulating as you don't have all that cold air to heat up. If it's likely to be
      cold at night, and you use an air mattress, put one of those silver space
      blankets, silver side up, between you and the mattress.

      > Towels (both paper and cloth)

      And tissues, and an extra roll of toilet paper in case the privies run out.

      > Dish soap

      If you plan on cooking for yourself/washing dishes. Not usually needed for
      weekend evetns in my area.

      > FIRST AID KIT!!!!!!!!

      Including any over-the-counter meds you commonly use, and any prescription
      meds. It is miserable trying to find someone who has ibuprofen or TUMS when you
      don't feel well.

      > A shovel/spade either folding or full size

      Never needed this at any weekend event. Most places in my area don't allow
      us to dig fire pits, and it's rare that we would be on such a slope that we
      would need to trench the upper side of the tent to divert water.

      > Extra fuel for stove/lanterns
      > Hand Ax or Hatchet

      Again, I've never needed a hatchet for a weekend event, as usually personal
      fires are not allowed in our area, and the hosting group takes care of the
      bardic fire if there is one.

      > Hammer (for driving tent pegs into hard ground)

      Yes.

      > Folding knife (if you don't have a dagger)

      If you get a dagger, get a single-edged one. They are much easier to deal
      with than double-edged. On the other hand, a pair of utility scissors will
      handle most of the same jobs.

      > Two fairly good-sized tubs for washing dishes/faces/hands

      Again, usually not needed for weekend events here unless planning on cooking
      for yourself (most of our weekend events provide at least Saturday lunch,
      feast, and Sunday breakfast). As far as washing faces and hands, again, our sites
      have bathhouses in most cases.

      > Trash bags

      Absolutely. Good not only for trash, but for bagging your clothes and
      bedding in case of a sudden leak in the tent, and for taking home dirty dishes if
      you don't wash them on site.