4383Re: [SCA Newcomers] Pavilion for Sale

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Mar 18, 2003
      On Tuesday 18 March 2003 20:53, Sandy King wrote:
      > Cassy of Wolf's Rock
      > Kingdom of Calontir

      Kingdom of Calontir indeed. I notice from your web site that you are from
      the Shire of the Standing Stones. I attended Mizzou from 1981 through 1985,
      though I was not an SCA member at the time. ("Those people are WEIRD. I'm
      not going to hang out with THEM!") (Don't laugh, Mary Henline, it's all
      true! Ask me at a shire meeting if you haven't heard the story.)

      Do you, by chance, know Cieran Macintosh and Etaine nicConnell, also from
      Standing Stones but GAFIAted for about eight years or so? I'm probably
      butchering the spelling of their SCA names, because I mainly know them
      as Matt and Roxie Shaw. Matt and I, plus two other guys, rented a house
      together in college. Roxie was my closest female friend. I introduced
      them in about 1983 and they've been married for about 15 years now. So
      when we get together it's more like a family reunion than a gathering
      of friends.

      In any case, Matt and Roxie are the ones who dragged me, kicking and
      screaming, into the SCA. Pennsic 20 was my first event, and they came through
      Ohio on their way to it and invited me to go along.

      Last year, they broke their eight-year GAFIAtion by returning to Pennsic,
      camping with my household (Erevnite Asteron). They had been thinking about
      dipping their toes back into the SCA, and when they found out I was getting
      birded, that was enough to push them over the edge and back into the water.
      We're hoping they'll at least keep coming back to Pennsic with us.

      I also know Clovis from that area, though he lives in the Midrealm now.
      I've met Endrixos a few times, but don't know him that well. He plays
      in Wyvern Cliff, but I'm sure you know of him.

      Any of these folks happen to be friends of yours?

      Justin

      P.S. For those on the list who are new enough to have not heard of Panther
      Pavilions, I can heartily recommend them. Panther is a family-owned business,
      and having camped in one of their tents for about six years now, and also
      owning one of their dining flies, plus having about 2/3 of our household
      under their tents, I can absolutely say that their quality is excellent.
      They are also incredibly nice people, and very pleasant to deal with.
      Properly erected, a Panther tent will keep you dry in anything short of
      an outright tornado or hurricane. Ours has stood up, without leaking a drop,
      in 55 mph wind gusts. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

      fesswise reversed sable.