3942Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Garb Questions and more!

  • Lily Lang
    Dec 12, 2002
      I should probably stop the lurking thing too. I did enjoy in recent "Equal Oppertunity Destroyers" comment, so true, so true. I don't know to much about history but I do know somegreat SCAer's in the San Antonio & Austin, Texas area if anyone needs that kinda information. :))
      Lily
      "vengasd <vengasd@...>" <vengasd@...> wrote:Greetings,

      I guess this is a good time to de-lurk in this newsgroup since I may
      have some useful knowledge.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Erin Truesdell
      <Lilith2592@a...>" <Lilith2592@a...> wrote:

      > also, what does a woman fighter wear? skirts seem like a hinderance
      > but i'm sure a woman in pants isn't common, though i did once see a
      > woodcutting of a renaissance woman on a hunt in those poufy pants.

      There was a Lady fighting at the Queen's Champion Tourney in
      Calafia. She fought with a rapier in each hand while wearing a skirt
      and seemed evenly matched with her opponent. There was a great deal
      of anticipation among the audience while each fencer jockeyed for
      advantage. Finally, the Lady's endurance seemed to wane underneath
      the noontime heat. For a brief moment her blade wavered and her
      opponent leaped in for an attack, mortally wounding the Lady. The
      crowd applauded her efforts, for she died well.

      Here's a website with some interesting images of women dueling:

      http://www.lothene.demon.co.uk/others/women17.html

      > and about what time period did light weapons fighting come into
      > being?

      From "A Brief History of Fencing":

      "rapier technique had its birth in the late 16th century, while
      the 17th century was the golden age of this weapon."

      You can read more at:

      http://www.geocities.com/cofc_fencing/information/history.html

      I'd be interested in seeing anything else you come up with on your
      search.

      Robert