17268children's activities

  • Stefan li Rous
    Mar 7, 2014
      Alisha said:
      <<< My girls are aged from 3-14. I will certainly ask around about interest in starting up some kid's activities. I know there are at least a few other families with kids. >>>

      You don't have to do things under an official umbrella. Simply arrange with some of these parents to share the child minding time. It can help to have official activities, but nothing says they need to be official or organized by some officer.

      In fact, that official status is what has made the corporate office tighten up some of the rules in the past few years. Official children's activities must now have two non-related non-living together folks there to make sure nothing untoward happens. Children's officers must also now, pass a background check.

      The children's activities office is not a required office and a lot of groups have dropped it because of the problems that the new rules impose.

      <<< Our chatelain and deputy were *just* put in their positions, and are self-proclaimed "stick jocks". They were more than willing to discuss combat and armor, but I got head shakes and shrugs when inquiring about A&S. >>>

      Which happens in a lot of groups. Sometimes this is a good thing about having other groups around you. Another might be further away, but be more in line with what you want to do.

      Provided they don't fight you (and sometimes if they do), it is often best to try to start something on your own.

      <<< I've also asked about children's activities, and (likely due to living on an island) we don't seem to have anything. Makes it hard to learn more about it, when there isn't anyone who does it in the area, and I can't reach those further out (not easily anyway) >>>

      Check some of the files in the CHILDREN section of the Florilegium. Perhaps some of these will give you some ideas of activities you can do at your events.
      chd-ck-clsses-msg (12K) 1/ 3/01 Children's cooking classes.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/chd-ck-clsses-msg.html

      chd-actvites-msg (64K) 7/ 3/11 Children's activities for SCA events.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/chd-actvites-msg.html

      child-gam-msg (30K) 8/25/00 Period and SCA children's games.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/child-gam-msg.html

      Lights-Shared-art (7K) 8/31/01 "Lights-Shared - A Children's activity" by Countess Tessa of the Gardens, OP.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/Lights-Shared-art.html

      p-cook-child-art (8K) 1/25/06 "Bored? Period Cooking For the Next Generation!" by Mistress Andrea MacIntyre
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/p-cook-child-art.html

      p-cook-child-msg (20K) 9/27/08 Period cooking for children.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/p-cook-child-msg.html

      teenagers-msg (34K) 12/ 1/08 Period and SCA teenagers. SCA activities.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/teenagers-msg.html

      toys-msg (70K) 1/22/11 Period and SCA toys.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/toys-msg.html

      Toys-in-th-MA-art (26K) 8/30/99 "Toys in the Middle Ages" By Lady Margritte of Ravenscroft.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/Toys-in-th-MA-art.html

      There are also a number of activities and games in the ENTERTAINMENT section which will work with children.

      Those of you who have been in the SCA for a while with children, what activities have your children enjoyed?

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris