17253re: Hello!

  • Stefan li Rous
    Feb 19, 2014
      Alisha asked:
      <<< Umm... where to start? I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm Alisha (my given "modern" name), and I am mother to four girls (ages 3-14). >>>

      Welcome to the SCA!

      The SCA can be fun for kids as well as adults. Many events have special activities just for children. But in addition, children can participate in almost all of the activities that the adults do. Exceptions being that they can't fight on the tournament fields against the adults and they aren't allowed in some dangerous classes or they need to attend with a parent. Molten metal casting and blacksmithing come to mind.

      You might want to glance through the files and articles in the CHILDREN section of my Florilegium site.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/idxchildren.html

      <<< I've never even been to a renaissance faire (but always wanted to),>>>
      Yep. Easy in some areas, not so easy in others. The SCA is similar in many ways to a Renn Fair, except we are the participants and not just the gawkers.

      It also does mean that the SCA runs on volunteer labor, so it is always appreciated when you can pitch in and help. In fact, that is one of the ways that it can be good for children.

      <<< and I came across the SCA website (not for the first time, though previously only in passing) about a month ago. I've read more articles than I can remember (I think I'm more overwhelmed than when I started).>>>

      I hope I'm not making the situation worse, but I recommend looking at the Florilegium, particularly the NEWCOMERS section. The site has a wide variety of files on a variety of SCA and medieval subjects. About 2500 different files, so don't worry about reading all of them at once. :-)

      <<< I've been to several fighter practices (looks fun, and I hope to join in, but I am more interested in A&S), >>>

      Wonderful! While armored and rapier combat are probably the most flashy things we do, a lot of people including Knights do a lot of serious academic study and A&S work. We also do target archery as well as combat archery.

      Are there any particular A&S things that appeal to you right now? Calligraphy?, pottery making?, blacksmithing (Yes, we have woman blacksmiths in the SCA), embroidery, spinning, weaving? dyeing?, cooking?

      <<< and planned to attend the Feast of Saint Bridget which got rained out (Bah!). >>>

      Yes, that has been happening a lot in the past few months. :-(

      <<< I'd love to ask some questions and get some tips (seriously though I've read all the newcomer page articles on the SCA website, and tons more besides), but where should I begin?! >>>

      Have you found an outfit to wear? These can often be borrowed from the local group or people in it, but if you can learn to make your own that is one place to start. Do you sew? If not, there are folks that can teach you. Or you can buy or barter for something, which is what I've done.

      Is there a particular culture or time period that you are interested in?

      <<< I currently reside in the (hopefully momentarily, inactive) canton of Bard's Keep in the Barony of the Western Seas Kingdom of Caid. (That's the Hawaiian island of Oahu in case you didn't know). >>>

      That makes it more difficult. Is there another group within easy reach? Where did you attend some fighter practices?

      <<< The people I have met seem nice enough, but possibly a little more laid back than is generally helpful, to me, as a newcomer! >>>

      That can be true. SCA folks tend to be very independent people and most won't try to force you to do things. However, the SCA does offer lots of chances to go up to someone and say "That looks interesting. What are you doing?" And most are often willing to explain.

      We've actually had a few newcomers in my barony who had a bit of a rough time because they showed up for their first event or activity in gorgeous outfits and folks thought they were already experienced SCA folks that they hadn't met before, and didn't realize that they didn't know what was happening around them. :-)

      Please feel free to ask questions here or to me by email.

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris