      However, director's chairs and the similar chairs with a lot of parallel legs in an "X" shape...

      <<< From: ansteorra at eden.com (7/13/95)
      To: ansteorra at eden.com
      RE>Event Ideals (fighting)

      Pug mentioned that the next thing they will aquire to help them play more authenticlly will be chairs and a table. If you are looking for late period, a folding director's chair with out the arms is fairly period looking. I suggest that you put a seat on it out of a tapestry
      reinforced with canvas (so that it won't stretch out) If you keep the
      arms and hence, the back, do the same, it is more comfortable that way
      but not period looking. Throwing a cover over a chair does nothing to
      make it look more period, unless perhaps it is a large, fur cloak. Then
      it just looks like a cloak thrown into a chair. Just my two cents.

      Clare >>>

      <<< From: hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu (Heather Rose Jones)
      Newsgroups: rec.org.sca
      Subject: Re: Not X Chairs
      Date: 14 Jul 1996 03:45:16 GMT

      Bryan J. Maloney (bjm10 at cornell.edu) wrote:

      : Anybody know how far back folding cloth and wood "director"-style chairs
      : go? I think they go at least as far back as the 18th century, but any
      : further?

      I once had my hands on a (fairly thick) book detail the history of chairs
      that showed a photograph of a "director's chair" that had belonged to
      Napoleon. I'm not talking about a vague, stylistic resemblence, the
      construction was identical to modern director's chairs. (Fancier
      materials, though.) For anything further back, you'd have to define what
      you mean by "director" _style_ chair. Similar enough that if you saw a
      real one you'd say, "Hey, but that's a modern diretor's chair!"? In that
      case, the Napoleonic one is the earliest I've seen. However the basic
      X-folding shape is a slow but steady development from at least Classical
      Rome. There are some very early medieval chairs that take the basic
      X-stool shape and extend the back legs upward to form a back (i.e., the
      seat cross-bars anchoring the fabric go across under your knees and behind
      your seat, rather than parallel to your legs) which is very similar in
      _concept_ to some beach-chair designs (except the beach chairs are always
      made of aluminum and nylon webbing). It's a wonderful book -- one I'd buy
      if I ever ran into in a store.

      Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn >>>

      Stefan

      ======
      On May 28, 2013, at 14:12 , D'vorah bint Da'ud <dvorah@...> wrote:

      > I can't document this myself, but I've heard from multiple sources that a "director's" chair actually IS medieval. It just doesn't seem medieval to people who only think of it in terms of a movie set. I hope some furniture mavens will chime in on this and confirm. Canvas or leather would both be appropriate, if so.

      There is certainly a close wood analog, the "X chair", that I believe can be documented back to Tudor England at least. (Don't quote me on that, as I'm working from memory and didn't specifially look it up just now.)

      Justin
      =======
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris