17098Re: [SCA Newcomers] Tents, horses, too bright (modern color) garb and shoes for people... lol

  • Ian Green
    May 27, 2013
      Hi, I do scribal stuff and in part we scribes deal in color. I make dyes
      that I then turn into ink. I'm certain that there are people here who are
      far more knowledgeable than I am about using dyes for fabrics.

      There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding about color in the middle
      ages. Colors in the middle ages were to the modern eye, vibrant, garish
      and clashing. Their taste in what went together is not always what we
      think of as going well together. Bright colors were perfectly normal.

      Black, there is a color that wasn't seen much. When you did see a good
      flat black that wasn't grey or mottled, it was a declaration of how wealthy
      the person wearing it was (or how wealthy their patron was.) Black is a
      very difficult color to dye fabrics in an even and complete manner.

      Why do we think of colors, especially fabric colors, as being so dull?
      Well, see how faded your clothes are in 600 to 1600 years. :-)

      Well preserved extant pieces are rare. Painting in pristine unfaded
      condition and such of those clothes are also not exactly common.

      Yet we know from making the stuff they made, and from what does survive,
      their colors were very often vibrant. Don't shy away from bright colors,
      they didn't in period.

      Yours in Service,

      Ian the Green

      --