17070Stefan's Florilegium article for May 2013

  • Stefan li Rous
    May 13, 2013
      Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for May detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

      If you, your household or your local group run a website, please consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

      For those who would like to have a more immediate update when files are updated, there is an RSS feed available on the site.

      I welcome invitations from any SCA person to connect on LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris) or Facebook.

      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty-four years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.

      For those who would like to have a more immediate update when files are updated, there is an RSS feed available on the site.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
      Islamic-Pudng-art "Carrot and Date Khabīs" by Dom. Galefridus Peregrinus.
      In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
      chickpeas-msg Medieval chickpeas. Recipes.
      In the NEWCOMERS section:
      Children-SCA-art "Children in the SCA: An Introduction for Newcomers" by Lady Genoveva von Lübeck.
      In the PENNSIC section:
      teach-Pennsic-msg Comments on teaching at Pennsic.
      In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
      pepper-spices-msg Medieval peppers. The spice, not the New World pepper plant.

      Here are the updated files for this month.
      beer-in-food-msg Period recipes with beer or ale in them.
      freezng-foods-msg Freezing foods for storage. Techniques.
      fresh-cheeses-msg Fresh cheeses such as cream cheese and cottage cheese. Non-aged cheeses.
      hummus-msg Modern "hummus" dip is not the same as period hummus.
      p-medicine-msg Period medical practices.
      peas-msg Period peas. Pea broth. Recipes.
      spices-msg Info. on spices, sources for spices.
      Copyright 2013, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.