17058Many thanks

  • ElleD
    Apr 16, 2013
      Good Even,

      I am indebted to all who posted with advice, answers and links in response to my SCA/Pennsic newbie questions. Thank you for your time and effort - it is not wasted, and will be taken to heart.

      A few more questions, if I may presume upon you again:

      1. How do people keep track of time at Pennsic? I assume there is no cryer going about announcing the time. If a watch is the answer, how does one wear and/or check it discreetly if one has short sleeves or no pockets? And what is the best way to make sure one arises in the morning at the right time? Is there a period option to a wind-up alarm clock?

      2. Not to sound paranoid, but is there any sort of warning system at Cooper's Lake if a tornado or dangerous thunderstorm were to approach? Outdoor sirens or ...?

      3. With space at a premium, where do people brush their teeth and wash their face in the a.m. at Pennsic? Discreetly behind one's tent? Is that where one would dump the water from a bowl after face-washing? I can't imagine 10,000 people walking to the showers every morning.

      4. I have a mountain dulcimer. I realize that instrument is not in period, but it is very similar to the German scheitholt, which is, and which is also very likely its ancestor. If I brought my dulcimer, will people mind that?

      5. Do people speak in period style and/or accents at Pennsic (especially if one has a persona, such as mine, which is Tudor Scottish)? Is it OK to try? Is it OK to speak normally (though not of mundanity, of course), or to do some of both if unable to keep it up indefinitely?

      6. We would like to visit our kingdom's royal encampment and/or attend court to observe and introduce ourselves. Does one need an invitation? Does it depend on the kingdom?

      Thank you again for your courteous assistance. I tried to read up before re-posting, but I apologize if this is covered somewhere I missed.

      Elspeth Elphinstone of DunRobin
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic