17055Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie questions
- Apr 11, 20131. Show up in mundanes, with a sun hat and sunscreen and plenty of water. Get a shower and tehn change.
2. Technically I believe you can show up any time after noon on Land Grab Saturday. But it's busy, noisy, and hectic as hell, and depending on how big/organized your camp is, they may not have everything marked out and know where to set you up yet. Waiting for Sunday is a good idea.
3. Pennsic temperatures. Hah ha ha. No kidding. It can be anywhere from the low 40's at night to well over 100 during the day. In the same week. Occasionally in the same day. If we get some days of cool and rain (say 60 degrees and raining for 3 days) you are going to want heavy wool, not just light wool. There is no inside to go to to warm up. One year when my husband was on staff I didn't take anything other than shorts and t-shirts for the days before Land Grab. I ended up putting on one of my wool gowns over them - and it wasn't even raining, just cool and windy. LAYERS. Bring the linen, bring the light wool, bring the heavy wool. Chances are you'll need all of it at least once. My husband routinely wears light wool during Pennsic. Most of the time I can't and I stick to two layers of linen, or ditch the chemise and wear one layer of linen if it's really hot.
4. Not with the SCA, Inc. You never have to register a name with them if you don't want to.
5. Justin already gave you a better answer than I could.
6. Nah, not really, unless you play with them on a regular basis. Baronies and shires and stuff have specific land (designated by zip codes) that belong to them. Just tell people you are from a very rural part of Meridies.
7. Anybody can go to watch opening ceremonies. Specific people have roles in opening ceremonies and those are set up well in advance.
Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
From: ElleD <elledreaming@...>
To: scanewcomers <email@example.com>
Sent: Thu, Apr 11, 2013 5:07 pm
Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie questions
Good Morn to All,
I am new to the SCA and jumping right into the pool with plans to attend my first Pennsic War this summer. A few first-timer questions:
1. Does one normally show up in garb, or do people usually unpack, set up tent, etc. in mundane wear and then change?
2. If Land Grab is the first Saturday, then I shouldn't show up before Sunday, right?
3. My persona is late period Scottish Tudor. I'm working on my garb now. I'd like to use lightweight wool for the dress and linen for the chemise, but I'm worried that will be too hot. On the other hand, I've heard the nights can be chilly. Can anyone who has attended regularly tell me what range of temperatures to expect, what temperature is most prevalent, and whether he or she would wear lightweight wool at Pennsic? I could have the entire outfit made out of linen and use a wool shawl in the evenings, though that won't look as Scottish.
4. I haven't registered my name yet. Is that a necessity?
5. My husband uses a CPAP machine at night for sleep apnea. I assume we would need to buy a marine battery to run it. He also likes a small fan running at night as white noise. Will these sounds bother our neighbors?
6. I live in a quiet part of the KIngdom of Meridies, not close to even a shire. Is it OK to call myself a subject of the closest barony (South Downs, in my case)?
7. What is the procedure for the Opening Ceremonies? Does one have to be invited to participate?
Thank you for your patience with all these questions. As I mentioned, I don't live close to any active group in the SCA to attend meetings regularly, and so feel somewhat isolated.
Liz/Elspeth Elphinstone of DunRobin
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>