17054Re: [SCA Newcomers] Newbie questions

  • Justinos Tekton
    Apr 11, 2013
      On Apr 11, 2013, at 11:04 , "ElleD" <elledreaming@...> wrote:

      > 5. My husband uses a CPAP machine at night for sleep apnea. I assume we would need to buy a marine battery to run it. He also likes a small fan running at night as white noise. Will these sounds bother our neighbors?

      Taking off my SCA hat and temporarily putting on my modern-world electrical engineer hat... :-)

      Get a "deep cycle discharge" battery (marine or otherwise). These are specially designed to be run all the way down and then recharged, something that can shorten the life of an ordinary lead-acid battery. If you think about your car, for example, the alternator keeps your battery fully charged almost all the time. The stored energy is used only for starting the car or for when running accessories and lights with the ignition off, usually briefly.

      As for the noise, most of the time this sort of thing won't bother anyone, but I have two suggestion:

      1. As you are picking a spot to set up at a camping event, ask your prospective neighbors about this situation. Very likely, they will say it's no problem at all and they'll be appreciative of your extra courtesy. In the rare case, for example someone who is an extremely light sleeper, you'll avert a possible situation when there is still plenty of time to pick another spot for your tent.

      2. Simply don't put your tent too close to someone else's tent, if there is enough room to do otherwise. Pick a spot where you are at the edge of the camping area, so that you're bordered on one side by trees or similar boundaries. Pennsic camping is much more crowded than most other events.

      All of this being said, you really are not likely to have a problem with the CPAP. Lots of people need them and bring them to events.

      Kind regards and welcome,