17027Re: [SCA Newcomers] Possible newcomer to East Kingdom

  • Angela
    Feb 26, 2013
      Welcome Amy!

      It all depends on the household you join whether they have loaner garb. I know my household gave me 2-3 overdresses that people had stopped wearing because they no longer fit. Some households don't bother keeping track of/keeping loaner garb. It just depends on who you get with. The loaner garb I started with (3 whole outfits) lasted me about 2 years, always wearing the same stuff, until I learned to sew. I have never seen a SCA site (or merchant site) that wasn't about 'making money' overpricing stuff. Now that I've made a few things, I know WHY they charge what they do. Your standard fancy gown takes about 40 hours to make, and depending on the fabric, can get very pricey!
      Also, sometimes you can find normal mundane clothes that work for the SCA, like floor length skirts and fancy tops with long sleeves.

      Learning to sew for the SCA is very easy - all I could do was hems when I started! Now I can make a viking, underdresses, coats (I just made myself a viking coat with fur and everything to replace a corderoy cloak that was never all that warm, one I paid about $100 for at a war!). I still buy little things every now and then, but now, 3 years into the SCA, I'm starting to sew my own garb, and I have switched to buying trims, buttons, patterns and fabric, instead of whole pieces. The trick I found is to buddy up with someone who makes their own garb all the time -- and have them teach you the easy ways to do things. My friend who sews grew up in the SCA, and she's been sewing her own garb since she was 10. Her stuff looks amazing.

      Hate to tell you but middle age clothing was ALWAYS done in layers. A chemise is basically underwear. It goes under everything (or you can use a dress that FUNCTIONS like a chemise, with long sleeves, that goes to the ground, which chemises did). Then you wear whatever you are going to wear OVER the chemise (like a viking or sideless). The chemises were long sleeved, because women did not bare anything if at all possible. It wasn't proper to see one's feet and legs, or forearms, according to the church.

      If you're thinking about being a viking, clothing couldn't be easier (or cheaper!) for you to make yourself.
      For the standard viking underdress (think chemise, or dress that can stand alone), use Burda pattern 7468. I found it at Joann Fabrics. This pattern is very easy and makes 2 different dresses, depending on the sleeves. "A" is the a generic underdress that can be worn under a sideless or viking. "B" is a fancier stand-alone dress that has the long flowy sleeves. (they are both pretty much the same dress, it's really mainly the sleeves that are different). The viking itself is about 3 1/2 yards of linen blend, and can be made in 7 pieces - back, front, 2 sides, 2 shoulders and a "bra" strap that goes around and connects them to the dress. A friend of mine made me a pattern for that. There is also a Burda pattern for the sideless, which is WAY easy (2 pieces!) and goes over an underdress. Burda 7977 is also 2 dresses -- an underdress (standard fitted chemise) and a sideless.

      I've gone from having 2-3 outfits total to making 3 sidelesses, 4 chemises in different colors (so you can mix/match), 3 vikings and 2 stand alone fancier dresses. Now I can get thru a 7 day war and not wear the same thing twice! YAY!

      Also don't worry about getting a "persona" -- I've been playing 3 years and still don't have one. I only have a name because our household has several "angela"s, and I wanted to differentiate myself. And it's not a proper "vetted" midieval name -- it's just something I liked the sound of. I'm the only chainmailler in my household. I'm also almost the only archer in a household of sword and board fighters.

      My advice? Go to a few local wars and try to find a household you like. Many households have some form of membership requirements - like you have to attend so many wars with them, or be active in a specific thing (ie my household, most everyone takes the field, or supports the field by waterbearing/etc); others don't care, so long as you are the same type of persona they are (ie in a pirate household, everyone is a pirate). If they like you, they will ask you to be part of their household. Just go make some friends! :) Eventually you'll find that someone who makes garb too.

      LOL don't worry about Norse -- m'lord and m'lady is the only new "language" I've ever heard in the SCA! :)

      Yours in Service (YIS),
      Inea Arcur (Angela) - combat archer, brewer, chainmailler, and now garb maker! [I was going to say "sew er", but see how that looks!?]
      Atenveldt (AZ)
      invertedarcher@...