17026re: Possible newcomer to East Kingdom

  • Stefan li Rous
    Feb 25, 2013
      Greetings "that in Maine", :-)

      No, I don't think that is registrable as a period name. However, there are a number of variations of "Amy" in various cultures in our period of study which might be of interest to you. Some people like to use a variation of their regular (also called mundane) name since they don't think they can learn to react to another. Others want a different name because they find that easier to help to separate their SCA life from their regular life.

      Many local groups maintain chests of loaner clothing for newcomers to use until they get or make their own. One of many reasons to make contact with your local SCA group.

      <<< My persona thoughts are either Viking or 15th century generic since those dresses look easy and more comfortable than the Viking apron dresses over multiple layers. >>>

      Viking or Viking apron dresses? Huh?

      Multiple layers are a good way to make clothing that will work in different seasons. This was quite common in period. Even the richest people only had a few changes of clothes, so the ability to make what you had work in different conditions was important. Many of the pictures that you might think people are wearing a single outer layer simply aren't showing the under layers which can't be seen.

      Being in Maine, you are probably going to need a range of clothing. Outside events in winter are going to require different or additional clothing than an inside event or one in summer. I would recommend looking into making or getting a cloak for instance. This can be worn when it is cold, used to sit on, used to protect yourself from the rain etc. A few Florilegium files on cloaks:
      AS-Cloaks-art (10K) 5/ 3/02 "An Anglo-Saxon Cloak" by Lady Eowyn "Eo" Swiftlere.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/AS-Cloaks-art.html

      cloaks-msg (64K) 5/ 6/12 Cloaks, cloak pins and clasps.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/cloaks-msg.html

      Irish-Brat-art (20K) 2/14/09 "Weaving an 11th Century Irish Brat"
      by THL Cassandra of Glastonbury.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/Irish-Brat-art.html
      (not a project for a beginner, but interesting)

      The CULTURES section in the Florilegium has some information on a number of different cultures. It might be useful in getting some more ideas of cultures you might be interested in.

      I know women who picked a persona because that culture didn't force all women to wear dresses. I know men who avoided a culture because men at that time wore hose.

      Some people avoid Elizabethan because all of the fancy clothing they see in the portraits of the time. However, remember that the people in those paintings are the upper 1% or higher of society. They were the ones that could afford to have a portrait painted. So a solution is to use a middle-class Elizabethan persona where the clothing was/is much simpler. This also leaves the possibility of "moving into the upper class" when your sewing skills improve.

      For a bunch of good info and suggestions on personas, check out the PERSONAS section in the Florilegium.

      "There is zero chance I'm learning any Norse...I'm 40yo and my brain isn't that agile anymore!"

      Don't worry about languages. In the US, at least, modern English in the common language. One of the quirks of the SCA is that the wide range of personas from cultures from Iceland to the Middle East, especially over 1600 years would have had problems talking to each other, which we ignore. The most common language was Latin, but even that was spoken very only a small minority of the people.

      As to being 40 years old, I'm 55 (I've been in the SCA for over 22 years) but we have folks from teen agers to senior citizens.

      Please let me know if I can help you further.

      Stefan
      --------
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris