16997Re: [SCA Newcomers] beginner garb

  • aranwen_of_willowford
    Feb 7, 2013
      The basic T tunic really is indeed an easy start. I do like pairing it with something over it, like the Viking apron or a surcoat, though you'll need a basic tunic to go under them. (I really need to make my first sideless. Those are great "toppers" for your tunic too. ;) These tunics are pretty universal through the ages and suit most any persona or time so it's a great start. You'll eventually be glad to have a few things so having a few tunics around can be super handy.

      I can at least offer a few tidbits on those. Also, actually.... if you go over to http://www.sca.org/officers/chatelain/newcomers.html
      and roll down to What To Wear. Look at the Introduction to Garb page.
      I like the "The Quicker Method -- with wide modern fabric" method - if you can find a comfy t-shirt that fits loosely, you can use it as a guide to make your first tunic! (After that, you can use a tunic that fits well as your template for as many as you want!). Just trace around it, leaving room for your seam allowance. Remember, it's better to be a bit loose than it is tight. One method I used was to trace around the tunic or shirt (heh, actually, a nightgown was my first) with dressmaker's chalk, and that was my line to sew on. You cut out the front and the back pieces and stitch them together. Hem up your bottom hem, sleeves, and if you like, you can just add some bias tape around the neckline for a super easy finish off!

      As I was making a pair of these this past weekend, I made some photos to add to a blog post but I didn't get a chance to write it down yet, only have the fighter's tunic in there so far. I will get those posted later in case the construction visual might be useful, though. http://aranwen-ridhelic.blogspot.com

      Does anyone in your group have a copy of The Known World Handbook you could borrow? It has a lot of stuff in it, too, including patterns!

      ~Lady Aranwen of Willow Ford
      Chatelaine for the Barony of Iron Mountain
      Kingdom of Meridies

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Angela wrote:

      > I too am new to sewing and the viking is really easy!
      > There are lots of commercial patterns for chemises -- Burda patterns are useful but you need to lengthen them. When you make them according to the directions they're about 5-6 inches short, since they are supposed to nearly cover your feet. It's Burda 7977, which is a combo chemise (underdress) and (overdress) sideless. I bought the "plus" size, since I am 2-3x, and it fits well. I also bought Burda 7468 which can be used as gown or chemise. A friend gave me a homemade pattern for the viking. It's 4 pieces - back, front, 2 sides. That is the easiest way to do it, because most viking patterns make you look pregnant, no matter how you make them, because they are short and an overdress so they have to be bigger.
      >
      > I like the sideless better -- it's easy, no sleeves, 6 pieces (front = 2 sewn together, back = 2 sewn together, then there's a gore on each side to attach them to), or you can do front and back "cut on the fold", so the 2 pieces become 1 large each. That way if you make 2-3 different color chemises, you can make sideless's in lots of colors (and viking's too) and mix and match.
      >
      > https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=490462044297483&set=t.100002530786312&type=3&theater
      > Here's a pic of me in one of the burda chemises and sideless I made (7977). Notice in the pic how I have to lengthen the chemise as my feet are showing!
      >
      > T tunics are supposedly easy, but I've never made one. I haven't made any male garb, just stuff for myself.
      >
      > Hope this helps!
      > Angela
      > invertedarcher@...

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic