16969Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thanks!

  • Ian Green
    Jan 31, 2013
      I know several people who have non-nobility personas. I know a couple of
      which who have personas and lowly lay friars as well.

      It is rare in the SCA to see these personas but they are as legitimate as
      any other persona to have and to play. That said, the default is that yes,
      you are minor nobility until or unless you have received awards that make
      you a "higher" class of nobility. Most of the people I know who play the
      serfs and lay friars are of the highest orders in the SCA. They still
      enjoy having serf personas.

      Much like other things in the SCA, we politely ignore the obvious
      inconsistencies. You can't be a peasant/serf and be a peer of the realm in
      historical reality. Becoming a peer of the realm would automatically
      elevate someone from whatever station they were into one of the highest
      possible stations. Oh well, its the SCA, where we let you be what you want
      to be more or less.

      You don't get to call yourself a Knight, but you can earn that title. You
      can't be Prince, Princess, King, Queen, Duke, Duchess, Count, Countess,
      Viscount, Viscountess, Baron, Baroness, The Honorable Lord, The Honorable
      Lady, Lord, Lady, Master and/or Mistress (feminine of Master,) unless you
      EARN those titles. Just about everything else is fair game.

      As for how much free time Peasants had, more than most people think. In
      fact for most of the time period of the SCA peasants and serfs had shorter
      work hours during the week than a full time employee does today. Yes,

      Yours in Service,

      On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM, shelbystein <shelbystein@...> wrote:

      > **
      > Thanks! I appreciate all of the great information. I realize the middle
      > ages, while being really cool, weren't so great for everyone! I think it
      > was mentioned that everyone is part of the nobility. Are there no serfs?

      Yours In Service,

      THLord Ian the Green

      "Veritatem resistit simplicitate"