      From: Alison Choyce <greenfaere@...>
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 8:07 PM
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Question for newcomers

      Great questions! I am a costuming junkie, so I will jump in on this
      question. For starting out, it is easiest to go with basics. If you ever
      get into doing research yourself on your persona's culture, you may find
      more information than you think.

      Try to use linen and wool if you can (not everyone has the funds or a
      source, but it was used more than cotton, and in more places and times than
      cotton).

      Linen was used for underclothing, veils, coifs, shifts, undershirts,
      braies, etc. In the SCA we extend that to some of our outergarments as
      well, because it is so comfortable in summer in the US, and has the right
      'drape' for period clothing. Try http://fabrics-store.com/ , they have many
      colors, the medium weight is good for most uses, and the 3.5oz or
      lightweight is great for lightweight shifts.

      Wool was used much of everything else, gowns, cloaks, stockings, hats, etc.
      Wool flannel has a basic tabby weave that used throughout period, and is
      available from many sources in a variety of colors. They did have a variety
      of interesting weaves in period, but those can be hard to get today,
      especially in a cost effective version. Try
      http://www.bblackandsons.com/and look under the flannel section.

      Silk was available to those who could afford it. And cotton was available
      but was more expensive than silk, and harder to get.

      There are a few books you might want to look into. One is titled Dress in
      Ireland by Mairead Dunlevy, and also the Warp Weighted Loom by Marta
      Hoffman, which will discuss fabrics that would have been available.

      As to colors, you might want to choose colors that look like they could
      have been gotten with a natural dye, florescents are, to my eye, a bit too
      bright. Fabric that we would call tartan or plaid today were certainly
      woven then, not in the current way of thinking that a certain pattern
      belongs to a specific family. Jacquard weaves were not possible until there
      significant innovations in looms and weaving around the 14th century. So
      tabby or twill (which can have many variations) were the weaves available.

      Good luck!

      Alison Wodehalle

      On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Kathy Fletcher
      <kathyfletcher99@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Sounds good, I can only add, that being a sort of newbie, I was, and still
      > am, looking for info on garb, style of course, but fabric more so.  What
      > kind is best to make different pieces, can it have a print or stripe, what
      > colors are "tabu". How can i be sure it is appropriate? My particular
      > persona (I've been playing for a yr and half) is early Irish, so there's no
      > "painted" examples like for much later.  I can't really tell from statues,
      > so where do you go for that kind of info?  That may be too detailed, or
      > specific, for a 102 class. Has anyone ever done a garb 101 class????
      >
      > And since I can't go to Pennsic this year, can I get a copy of your
      > handout, unless you might do it at WOW?
      >
      > Thanks, hope I helped a little at least.
      >
      > YIS,
      > Caissene

      ~Alison