16291Re: Persona?

  • Stefan li Rous
    May 28, 2011
      <<< Yeah, my interests frequently are rather unrelated. I suppose it
      would be more accurate to say that as far as the SCA goes I'm
      interested in early England. In two months it could well be that I am
      interested in later Italy, or eastern cultures, or Norse even.

      Elenore (is that it, I just declare myself to be Elenore? I of course
      don't mean registering or anything.) >>>

      Yep, that's all you need to do. And it's all you need for now. Using
      it now as you meet new people gives them a name to use rather than
      "Angela" which they will then have to also relate to "Elenore". If
      they are introduced to you as Elenore, then they can later get to know
      you as "Angela" but by that time it won't be as difficult. And my
      suspicion is that "Elenore" or variations of it was used throughout
      the Middle Ages, so that should help if your interests change. I'm not
      a name herald, though. Once you decide you like the name, you can
      research the rest of your name and then register it. (or not)

      By "early England", do you mean the Anglo-Saxons? Or the Picts or the
      Romano-British? I have some information on all of these groups in the
      CULTURES section of the Florilegium. As well as files on Italy, Norse
      and more eastern cultures. For Norse, I actually have a separate,
      small section as well as the file in the CULTURES section.

      One problem in the SCA, is that if you went by the personas in the
      SCA, you'd think that the Norse died out when the Viking Age ended.
      There are very few post-Viking age Norse in the SCA.

      Here is a file on little used personas, which some might find
      interesting.
      Som-Per-Ideas-art (16K) 12/31/02 "Some Persona Ideas" by HL Elaine de
      Montgris (known as 'Lainie).

      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Som-Per-Ideas-art.html

      And 'Lainie recently changed her name after many years, to "Liutgard
      of Luxeuil", so this is an example that you can change your name later
      if you wish. It's also "Mistress" now instead of Honorable Lady, but
      sometimes it takes me a while to get things changed in the Florilegium.

      Stefan

      --------