16278Re: [SCA Newcomers] Non-permanent shoe covers

  • Chris
    May 17, 2011
      Thanks all, good advice and well taken. Being a bigger boy myself(6' 225) and having a proclivity towards chain maille I understand the advice. I probably should have specified my shoe selection and my level of experience. I'm fairly new to the SCA, just about three years Ansteorran experience. I have been fighting during this time, and have been wearing a black pair of steel toe Hi-Tech s.w.a.t type boots. They are heavy and not so comfortable. I got a pair of used Merrel Widerness hiking boots with an aftermarket kevlar toe inserted by a boot maker. They are 3 pounds total versus my 5.5 pound High-Techs. It sounds like a trivial amount, but at the end of the day the Merrels are lighter and much,much more comfortable. They look fairly period, but just wanted to go that extra step. I am kind of a wanderer due to my job, so I don't have a huge group of folks to hit up for advice or pick their brains on some subjects. Thanks again for the concern and advice. I apologize for not be more clear.
      I did sit down and make a template.I will bend the ear of some leather worker or bribe them with mead to help make a workable rendition of my design. But this will have to wait until I return from work.
      Arngrimr (Stigandr)

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:
      > On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 17:39 -0400, christopher chastain wrote:
      > > I agree with this statement, remember there are some BIG boys on the
      > > field. Corn feed line backer size wearing heavy armor and alot of
      > > them, its not just the idea of one stepping on your foot but think of
      > > a pile of bodies all piled up on each other. Thats alot of weight,
      > > leave your pretty shoes for when your not in armor and get some strong
      > > steel toed boots for when in armor.
      > I'm a Chirurgeon, which is SCA-speak for "first aid provider." I'm also
      > a warranted Marshal in the Midrealm. Much as I love authenticity, I will
      > say for the record that from the perspective of either my Marshal hat or
      > my Chirurgeon hat, I would much rather see you be safe than authentic
      > when it comes to fighting.
      > Wear a good sturdy pair of modern boots. If you can find a way to cover
      > them with thin leather to make them look period, great. If not, don't
      > sweat it.
      > There *are* heavy-duty period boots. I know because I own a pair. I do
      > not wear them fighting because they cost me $300 ten years ago. I wear
      > them when I'm in real garb, including at camping events, but when I
      > fight I wear a pair of dark brown modern hiking boots. They aren't
      > period, but with the dark brown color they aren't jarringly modern. At
      > demos where modern folk are watching, they are so captivated by armor
      > that I doubt many of them ever even glance at footgear.
      > Justin
      > --
      > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed Or two keys
      > fesswise reversed sable.
      > justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic