16275RE: [SCA Newcomers] Non-permanent shoe covers

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    May 17, 2011
      On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 17:39 -0400, christopher chastain wrote:
      > I agree with this statement, remember there are some BIG boys on the
      > field. Corn feed line backer size wearing heavy armor and alot of
      > them, its not just the idea of one stepping on your foot but think of
      > a pile of bodies all piled up on each other. Thats alot of weight,
      > leave your pretty shoes for when your not in armor and get some strong
      > steel toed boots for when in armor.

      I'm a Chirurgeon, which is SCA-speak for "first aid provider." I'm also
      a warranted Marshal in the Midrealm. Much as I love authenticity, I will
      say for the record that from the perspective of either my Marshal hat or
      my Chirurgeon hat, I would much rather see you be safe than authentic
      when it comes to fighting.

      Wear a good sturdy pair of modern boots. If you can find a way to cover
      them with thin leather to make them look period, great. If not, don't
      sweat it.

      There *are* heavy-duty period boots. I know because I own a pair. I do
      not wear them fighting because they cost me $300 ten years ago. I wear
      them when I'm in real garb, including at camping events, but when I
      fight I wear a pair of dark brown modern hiking boots. They aren't
      period, but with the dark brown color they aren't jarringly modern. At
      demos where modern folk are watching, they are so captivated by armor
      that I doubt many of them ever even glance at footgear.

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic