15796Re: [SCA Newcomers] I haven't posted in a while, but need a little advice/input

  • Maryelizabeth
    Sep 1, 2010
      > Don't get too worried about whether the tent fits the persona at the moemnt. Lots of people in the SCA use modern tents due to cost, lack of space to store/dry/haul canvas and poles, etc. Having used both, canvas is a LOT more comfortable, so I think you've made a good choice.

      I have noticed that my canvas wall tent is a lot more durable than the nylon tents that I used to have, even the more expensive ones.

      > Again, lots of people use modern cots, air mattresses, etc, even inside period tents. Army cots will be fine, and getting yourselves up off the ground is the best choice you could make.

      Thanks for the input - my youngest really has a problem with too much cold and damp so that is a main reason for wanting the cots.

      As far as a slat or rope bed, things to consider with a rope bed are that a) the ropes don't always stay on when the bed is broken down for transport, which means you may need to restring it every time you use it (this depends mostly on the design of the bed), which is time-consuming; and b) the ropes stretch and need to be tightened. You may well find yourselves rolled together into the middle of the bed in the morning due to sag. This can be fun or not depending on your personal preference :-) You might guess that I really like our slat bed.

      I think he is leaning towards the slat bed as well as we are both the type that likes a little room when sleeping.

      > Plan for weather and layers. I generally bring one or possibly two gowns for a weekend, depending on how cold/sweaty/ wet I expect to get based on activities and weather. I generally find that I never manage to get into garb Friday night because by the time we are done setting up (we have a BIG pavilion and lots of junk) it is time to go to bed, and if I need garb on Sunday, I can usually rewear the gown I wore on Saturday unless it gets very dirty, wet, or sweaty. I always bring a heavy wool gown or a cloak for rain or unexpectedly cold weather, and a pair of wool socks in case of wet feet. I personally agtree with the accessories rather than fancy garb for court, especially for a camping event, but that's definitely a YMMV situation.

      YMMV? Thank you for the cloak reminder. I have to finish up sewing mine and my husband's. Both boys have finished ones already.

      Thanks to everyone's input, I think I have a clear idea of what direction to head in.

      Maryelizabeth