15794Re: [SCA Newcomers] I haven't posted in a while, but need a little advice/input

  • Maryelizabeth
    Sep 1, 2010
      > The basic questions about garb, tents, and bed that you should be asking isn't "Will other people accept it," but "is this what I can do and live with, right now?" If you've got T-tunics and trousers made of old sheets, an earth pimple (that is, modern dome tent) for every two people, and sleeping bags on the ground -- and if that's what you can afford and what you can live with, for now -- then you're good. The REQUIREMENT for SCA participation is an attempt at pre-1600s attire. The rest is wonderful to build up to, but it's basically just extras.

      We have about three full sets of garb for each of us right now, although I realize that more will be needed as the boys grow (have a huge bin of fabric ready to go for that) and have a tub of finer fabrics for fancier garb. Since we will be camping as the cooler nights set in, I am concerned about sleeping on the ground, especially for my youngest as he has a vascular condition which is affected by cold, especially a damp cold.

      > Figure out what your SCA budget is going to be, and stick within it religiously. Figure in event/site/camping fees, tent costs, garb costs, furnishing costs, and accessories. Decide whether it's more important RIGHT NOW that you look great, or that your encampment looks great. Focus your attention the first year on garb, probably, unless your kids are still growing; for that, focus the kid-budget on a workable tent. A-frame tents are relatively easy to construct from scratch if you're doing it yourself, so that'll probably be the first workable period tent you get (or try out the SoulPad at http://www.soulpad.com -- and no, I don't work for them, I just really love my own SoulPad).

      The soulpad tents are adorable! Are they period? I currently have a wall tent that I bought a few years ago, but is still in like-new condition. I am buying the a-frame for the boys and it comes at a very good price from the same place that I bought the wall tent from, so I know the quality will be good.

      >After that, just build up little by little.

      We are planning to add a bit to the encampment slowly, as well as to feast gear, garb, etc. as we can and as I can find it as locally as possible. We don't really have a set budget per se, but know what we can and cannot afford, and stick with it. I generally buy fabric that I find on sale (usually from fabric.com or walmart as there is nothing else here to choose from) and stock up. I bought some beautiful blue velvet years ago, but find that it is too bright so might try dyeing a swatch of it to see if I can get closer to something less electric.

      I have a garb chest and a feast chest (we played years ago when the kids were small - before the split, etc.) It has taken 6 years to get to a point where we can play again, financially, as well as my husband agreeing to give it a try.
      Spend one year's SCA budget on garb, the next on tent(s), the next on furnishings, and then go back around for more garb. It can be easy and relatively inexpensive, if you let it.

      > Remember, the SCA isn't a strict society. It's about what YOU feel is your most reasonable attempt at period garb. What you yourself can make, trade for, or pay for. Do your best WITHOUT going bankrupt. If you feel capable of more, then try more, but for now, just focus on what will be fun, affordable, and will enhance the experience for your family.

      Thank you so much for your advice and input. The tent that I bought, as well as the one I am purchasing are found at fcsutler.com (Fall Creek Sutlery)

      Maryelizabeth/Francesca

      > D'vorah bint al-Attar
      > Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
      > Middle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
      > dvorah@...
      > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca AND
      > Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic