15786I haven't posted in a while, but need a little advice/input

  • Maryelizabeth
    Sep 1, 2010
      We are FINALLY going to be able to start attending events. School and work are now on a schedule that I can work with, as well as having the fortunate schedluing of a couple of events close to home.

      We already have a wall tent and I am going to purchase an "A" tent for my sons, which will later be used for the youngest (14yo)as we are able to get a second tent, IF my husband decides that he likes playing in the SCA. I have been given one year of trying, however, and plan to really use it!

      The tent for the boys is a 6' tall, 9' long a tent with two doors and sod flaps on the sides. Although they may be a bit cramped for an event or two, is this a good choice? My youngest has a Norse/Viking persona (he won't wear anything but tunics and trousers) so was interested in the tent as it would fit with his time period. My older son likes the Landsknecht (sp?) and at this time, a round pavillion is way out of the budget. (I looked at woodcuts and it seems they only used the round ones, please let me know if I am mistaken.)

      For beds, I was wondering, if covered well, is an Army-style cot fine for the boys? I can find these easily and they cost about the same as the materials for making them beds. The first event that we are attending is at the end of Oct and I really want to be sure that everyone is off of the ground. My husband is trying to decide between a slat bed and a rope bed, as I have printed out the plans for both.

      For this first camping event, how many sets of clothes (garb) should we bring? For court, I was thinking of having accessories rather than a whole different outfit, to dress it up a bit.

      Thanks for any advice and help.

      Maryelizabeth/Francesca
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic